Chapter 21: The Beginning of the Uchiha Coup Part II

Kiyomi POV

I blocked his attacks by encasing my arms with ice, but he was too fast. It was extremely difficult to land my ice particles on him. Shisui and Itachi did not seem to to do any better as well.

In response I launched my ice chains at him. "Take this!" I shouted. But he simply did the eight trigrams palm revolving heaven rotation and blocked it.

"Don't underestimate me!" He retorted and charged towards us. Shisui engaged in taijutsu with Mukai again. barely dodged Mukai's attacks with his Body Flicker jutsu. I narrowed my eyes. Ah I see what Shisui is doing.

I grinned and jumped towards Mukai while he was distracted and formed ice mirrors around him, hitting him with senbon at high speed. His chakra slowly depleted as he relied on Gentle Fist to block my shower of senbon. However, my mirrors did not hold him for long as he used his Byakugan to identify the weak spots on the mirrors. He timed his attacks perfectly and eventually grabbed me from the mirrors, after hitting me with an attack similar to Hinata's twin lions crumbling attack. I crashed to the ground and he closed some of my tenketsu points to temporarily paralyze my arm before destroying one of my weakened mirrors and escaping.

When I stumbled out of my circle of mirrors, I was horrified when I saw Mukai grab Itachi and plunged his hand into into Itachi's stomach, about to pull out his organs. Itachi! But instead of blood I saw crows. I sighed in relief. It was a clone. As expected from the genius Itachi.

Shisui threw shuriken and kunai to distract Mukai from finding Itachi's hiding spot, eventually being able to form an elaborate trap with ninja wires. I jumped to the other side of Mukai to aid Shisui in forming a net around Mukai and we closed in. No! Mukai used his Gentle Fist to slice through the wires easily. We were so close.

Mukai began to get dangerously near with his 64 trigrams air strikes, so Shisui and I did a combo attack with his fireball justsu and my wind scythe. Our eyes widened as Mukai used Gentle Fist to cut through our jutsus.

"Ah you must be shocked! Yes indeed my Gentle Fist can slice through any chakra-based substance." he explained and blocked an attack from Shisui who had crept up behind him.

"Shisui!" I shouted as Mukai grabbed his throat and began to strangle him. Itachi accidentally stepped out from his hiding place so he cast a genjutsu on Mukai for defense. Mukai broke out of it easily and boasted, "Such a low level genjutsu will not work on me."

"Let him go!" Itachi cried and his Sharingan blazed angrily

"Let him go you say huh? You value him as a friend greatly don't you?" Mukai taunted and tightened his grip on Shisui.

Despite being almost out of chakra, I used the Body Flicker jutsu and hit Mukai with ice needles from behind, causing him to loosen his hold on Shisui.

Itachi cast another genjutsu on Mukai to break his concentration on me and Shisui. This allowed Shisui the opportunity to look directly at Mukai and whisper, "Mangekyo Sharingan!" as his eyes adopted a different pinwheel shape from usual his three tomoe Sharingan.

Mukai gasped and dropped Shisui. Suddenly Mukai fell to the floor and slashed open his own stomach.

"Hold on Mukai!" Shisui yelled and we all ran to him and I cradled his head, trying to ease his pain.

"It's no good. Y-you can't save me. This jutsu will eventually destroy my brain. I was a spy." He rasped. "I've never seen a jutsu like that. What was that technique?" We remained silent. "So another secret Uchiha jutsu eh? Well I'm honored to be able to fight you three prodigies." Mukai weakly laughed.

Tears slowly fell out of my eyes, and I sniffed, "We didn't want to kill you. Please don't be the first person I have ever killed."

"You have a kind heart girl

"You have a kind heart girl. Please spare my wife and son. They had nothing to do it this. I did it on my own." he managed to say, trembling and grasping my hands, pulling me close to him. I nodded and he shakily placed a set of earrings in my hands, whispering in my ear. "B-barrier talismans to p-protect my Byakugan from being stolen. G-got them from some Kiri tracker nin. U-use them wisely." I thanked him and put the earrings in my pocket, while my Shisui and Itachi threw me bewildered looks.

"This act of treason was yours alone?" Shisui faltered.

"T-totally selfish" he admitted and struggled to reach for a cigarette in his backpack. Shisui silently placed a cigarette in his mouth and Itachi lit it for him.

He smoked his last cigarette and Shisui broke the eerie silence saying, "It's finally over." We laid back exhausted. If Mukai was this powerful with just one Byakugan and no official clan training, I cannot imagine how strong Lord Hyuga would be.

"What's the Mangekyo Sharingan?" Itachi looked at Shisui in confusion.

Shisui wore a pained expression but replied, "I'll tell you the time comes, Itachi." It takes a more traumatic experience to awaken the Mangekyo Sharingan after all....

As Shisui carried Itachi on our way home, I told Shisui, "The Mangekyo Sharingan. However you got those eyes, Don't blame yourself." Shisui threw me a grateful look.

" Shisui threw me a grateful look