Chapter 46

Alex's P.O.V

"Well?" I asked.

"The baby's okay, Alex. You can relax now," Dr. Depretis said. "The both of you are severely undernourished though. As for your foot, there is a new surgery that's come out recently that can fix most of the damage. However, it isn't a guarantee and you more than likely will have a slight limb. It's also quite cos-,"

"Cost isn't a concern. If she wants the surgery she'll have," I said as I cut him off.

"Would it harm the baby in any way?" Scarlett asked.

"No. We'll keep you both monitored while our best surgeon performs the surgery," Dr. Depretis replied

I was too stunned to speak as I drove to the hospital. Glancing over at her, it is then I notice the tiny bump through her sweatshirt.

"Listen, Alex, I know what you're going to say," she said, breaking the silence. "I know there's no place for a baby in the mafia,"

"You're right, there isn't," I replied as I kept my eyes on the road.

"But I'm not giving up on this baby, even if his father is a monster," she said.

"His?" I asked.

"It's just a feeling," she replied as she looked out the window. "Look, this baby deserves to live because he gave me a reason to live. I won't ask you to take care of him,"

"Scar," I began.

"All I'm asking is that you help me disappear. I won't let his father find him and train him to become the monster he is," she said as tears streamed down her face.

"You understand that you are carrying the heir to the Polish Mafia, right? Cade won't stop until he has him," I replied.

"I know. But he'll also kill me if he finds me and I won't let my child grow up without a mother," she said. "Please, Alex. I need to disappear," she pleaded.

"I'm not letting you go," I replied.

"Alex, n-," she started, but I wasn't having it.

"Scarlett, look at me," I said as I pulled over. "Look. At. Me," I said again as she turned her head to look at me, more tears threatening to spill. "I love you," I said as I took her face in my hands, "and I will not let the woman I love just disappear into thin air. I refuse to let you go. As for this baby," I said as I gently placed a hand on her stomach, "if you want him, we'll keep him. I'll raise and protect him as if he's my own," I said as I pressed our foreheads together.

"You could get hurt. If Ca-," she started.

"Cade can and will go to hell as I plan on sending him there myself. But right now, my biggest priority is you and this baby. You won't change my mind about it," I replied.

"Thank you," she breathed out as she threw her arms around my neck.

"Let's get you to a hospital to make sure he's alright. Okay?" I said as I let go of her. With a small smile on her lips, she nods her head and leans against the window, slowly drifting off to sleep.

"Alex, are you listening to me?" Dr. Depretis asked.

"No," I replied.

"It's fine, I'll fill him in," Scar said as he left the room.

"What did I miss?" I asked.

"He was just letting us know the ins and outs of the surgery. He's also putting in an order at the pharmacy for some prenatal pills and stuff. Nothing all that important really. Are you okay, though? You seemed really lost in thought there," she asked.

"Just thinking about how I'm going to protect you two, that's all," I replied. "Do you want to talk about what happened?" I asked.

"Not really," she replied as she looked away.

"When are they taking you up for surgery?" I asked.

"In about an hour. They said I'll take about three hours," she replied.

"I'm not leaving," I replied. "Did he say when we'll be able to find out the gender for sure?"

"He said that they could test my blood, so they'll put it through after surgery if I want. Or I could wait about two weeks for them to be able to tell on the ultrasound," she replied.

"Do you want to find out today?" I asked.

"Part of me does. Part of me wants to wait. What do you think?" she asked.

"It's whatever you choose, love," I replied with a reassuring smile..

"I think, I think I'm going to wait a little," she replied.

"Are you ready to go?" the nurse asked as she knocked on the door.

"Yeah," Scar said with a nod.

"I'll be here waiting for you when you get out, alright?" I said as I kissed her forehead.

"Okay," she replied with a small smile. As they wheeled her out, I leaned back in my chair, lost in my thoughts.

How the fuck am I suppoed to take care of a baby?

Why would Federico betray us like this?

What is Cade's next move?

Taking my phone out of the pocket, I call Josiah.

"What can I do for you, boss?" he asked as he answered.

"What's the status on Cade's men and Federico?" I asked.

"All sedated and chained up in their cells, sir," he replied.

"Good. You remember my cousin Dante, don't you?" I asked.

"Yes, sir. Would you like me to get in contact with him?" he asked.

"Yes. I'm going to need him to momentarily deal with things while I take care of Scarlett. Contact him and see what he says,'' I replied.

"Of course, sir. Anything else?"

"Mikolaj, where is he?" I asked.

"Sedated and in a cell. If any of them wake up, shall I get information or should I wait for you and Dante?" he asked.

"Wait for Dante. I'll be in touch," I said as I hung up.

Two and a half hours later, Scar is rolled back into her room, sleeping peacefully. "How did they do?" I asked Dr. Florentino.

"Both of them did extremely well. We'd like to keep her here for a week or two just to observe how she's healing. Then we'll send her home with crutches. She'll likely limp while she walks once fully recovered, but that's better than the alternative. Any questions?" he asked.

"No, thank you doctor," I said as I shook his hand.

"My pleasure. Congratulations on the pregnancy," he said as he walked away.

---
A/N: Y'all drop some baby names ➡️