Chapter 30

Scarlett's P.O.V

Stirring awake as the sun assaulted my eyes, I snuggle into the warm body that was currently wrapped around me.

Oh God, what if it was all a dream and I'm home?

Shooting up, Alex is quick to wrap his arms around me as I breathe heavily.

"Hey, it's okay. It's just me. You're safe now," he said as he brushed the hair out of my eyes.

"How long was I out for?" I asked.

"Seventeen hours. You knocked out at nine last night," he replied.

"And you stayed? Don't you have work to do?" I asked.

"I wasn't leaving you alone. Not after the shit that's happened," he replied.

"You didn't have to do that," I said, a light blush staining my cheeks as I looked away.

"I'm never leaving you alone again. I can't risk losing you like that," he replied as he kissed my forehead. "Do you want breakfast?" he asked.

"It's two in the afternoon, I think it's a little late for breakfast," I replied with a chuckle.

"You still need to eat," he said getting up.

"Wait, who the fuck changed me?" I asked noticing I was in an oversized shirt only.

"I had one of the maids do it. I didn't think you'd be comfortable sleeping in jeans. Plus, you look good in my clothes and this was the perfect excuse to get you into them," he replied with a cheeky smile.

"Of course," I replied with a playful eye roll and small laugh. "So what happens now?" I asked as he carried me down the stairs and toward the kitchen.

"Well, we first get some food into you. I'll send someone over to your apartment to get your clothes. My maids couldn't find the phone or credit card I gave you, did you lose it?" he asked.

"No, I-," I started.

"Because if you did, it's okay. I just don't want some random hobo running around and using my card to buy shit," he added.

"It should be in my shoe," I replied.

"The maids didn't see anything when they checked," he said as he grabbed some leftover pasta from the fridge. "I hope shrimp scampi and linguini is fine. I made this last night," he added.

"Yeah, anything works for me. I'm not picky," I replied with a smile as I imagined him in the kitchen cooking.

"Great," he said with a smile as he dished out for the both of us. "Maria! Can you bring Scarlett's shoes here please?" he called out.

"Here you go, sir," said an older maid said as she brought my shoes.

"See, nothing," he said as he turned my shoes upside down.

"Give it to me," I said. As I took my left side shoe, I remove the latch I made and remove the phone and credit card. "Still here," I said as I showed him.

"You hollowed out the sole of your shoe?" he asked.

"Obviously," I said with an eye roll. "Aren't you in the mafia? That should be like, the first thing they teach you how to do in mafia school," I added.

"First of all, there's no such thing as mafia school. Second, I just wasn't expecting it from you. I'm very proud of your creativity," he said as he placed a steaming hot plate of food in front of me.

"Mmm, this smells good," I said, salivating at the sight. "Also, you got to get creative when you're being treated like an animal," I said, taking a bite.

"Like a what?" Alex said as he put his fork down. "Scar, what the fuck are you talking about?" he asked.

"Nothing," I mumbled as I took another bite.

"No. That's not nothing," he said as he made his way around the table to my side. "Hey, talk to me. What happened?" he asked.

"I-nothing. Forget I said anything," I replied.

"Don't start with that. What did he do to you?" he asked.

"He hit me, Alex. He chained me to the fucking radiator. He took my phone. My keys. My wallet. Hell, he even took the fucking wheelchair one day because he was so hellbent on me not leaving. He got a deadbolt that could lock with his phone. He forced me to do shit knowing my legs couldn't handle it. I was restrained to the bed at one point. It was seven days of hell, Alex. Literal. Hell," I replied.

"I'll kill the fucker," he said, anger visible in his eyes.

"I won't object. I only put up with him because you said to," I replied.

"I'm sorry," he said, regret evident in his voice as he ut our foreheads together. "Had I known that he would have-," he started.

"No. Don't. There was no way you could have known. It's okay. I'm okay. I'm safe now with you," I replied.

"How did you even end up meeting this prick anyway?" he asked.

"He lives in the apartment right next to mine and helped carry some of my stuff up when I was first moving in," I replied.

"You're not going back there. I'm sending some of my men over to yours now to get your things. If they see him, they're ordered to kill him," he said as he picked u my fork. "In the meantime, you need to eat. You've gotten skinnier since I last saw you," he added as he put the fork in my mouth.

"I can feed my-," I started as I went to take the fork from him.

"Shh, let me take care of you," he replied.

"The only thing I've been eating really was the cookies Cade's mom would bake and send over. I don't know how that woman could make so many cookies every few days. I did have pizza the other night, though. Though I wasn't really able to enjoy it," I said.

"Ah yes, Federico said Cade didn't like being handed a regular cheese pizza," he said with a light chuckle.

"You know him?" I asked.

"Baby, I sent him," he replied. "The fucker ordered a pizza you wouldn't eat, I wasn't about to let you starve," he added.

"I knew it! The way he looked at me and nodded made me think that something was up, but I didn't think much of it afterward since he never came back," I replied.

"Ah, I see," was all he replied with.

"Alex? Is there something you're hiding from me?" I asked.

"No, baby. Just focus on eating, okay?" he asked.

"No, you're lying," I replied. "What is it that you're not telling me?" I asked.

"When I found out who it was that you were dating, I did a background check on him," he said.

"Well, obviously. It wouldn't be you if you didn't," I replied with an eye roll.

"He's good at covering his tracks," he replied.

"Okay," I said, unsure of where this was going. "Why do I sense a 'but' coming," I said.

"It took a few days to find anything on him, but when we did, we found that he's a part of a mafia. The Polish Mafia, to be exact," he said.

"Are you fucking serious?" I asked.

"That's not all," he said.

"Mother of shit, what else is there?" I asked.

"They're our biggest rival and he's the heir to the throne," he replied, watching me intently.

And then it all went black.