Chapter 11: Downtime

(Y/N)'s POV

After the Interview, we've were given some free time around the newly constructed base from the successful Refugee Op. I was in my Team's tent, the others went to get some chow while I, Elena, and Kuribayashi stayed back since we already got chow early.

I Was Inspecting my Sidearm while laying on my bunk with Elena Sleeping and Kuribayashi Was reading some Book Itami gave her, I am 100 percent That Lieutenant is trying to hook up with her.

As I continue to Inspect my old M1911A1, Kuribayashi sat next to my bunk while tossing the book.

"Boring."

She says while tossing the Book away.

"Anything I can help you, Sarge?"

I ask Kuribayashi as she remembers My rank is lower than here as she realizes she moved beside me.

"Well...Oh right, I was wondering. What happened when the Aliens invaded? I was somewhere else when it happened."

The Moment she says that memories of the Civilians being gunned down by the Aliens, Me Driving a Broken Pipe Into The Aliens after killing three of them with it, a Criminal Group who took advantage and raped civilians in the streets, and how I watch my Best Friend from High school Get Burnt into ashes.

I start to Hyperventilate as Elena Quickly wakes up with Kuribayashi worried and confused as Elena Quickly comes to my side.

"Hey, (Y/N)! Relax! It's Okay, They're gone! It's okay, nothing will hurt you (Y/N)."

She says comfortably as I see my burning friend in the corner.

"(Y/N)...You killed me."

I start to feel tears form as Elena Hugs me, comforting me as my mind went blank, only hearing everything around me.

"What Happened? Did I do something wrong?"

I hear Kuribayashi ask Elena As I Watch a Kid get Blasted in the head multiple times by the aliens.

"No, it isn't your fault...He suffers from PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety. He...He saw some things back in Boston..."

Elena says Sadly as I see myself screaming to myself while crying as I kneel below a family I failed to save, their rotting and dismembered corpses everywhere.

"God Please...Kill Me..."

I muttered while crying as I felt Elena Continue to comfort me.

"Shhhhh, Shhhhhh, it's okay, I'm here for you. It's okay, your safe..."

I quickly snap back to normal as I see Elena Hugging Me with Kuribayashi looking at me shock with sadness, shock, and Regret. I felt something on the side of my head. I turn slowly to see my sidearm on the side of my head in my hand. I slowly lower it in shock as I realized I had another episode.

"I'm sorry, I..."

I try to find the words as I turn to Kuribayashi.

"Nantz...(Y/N) I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to"

I cut her off

"It's okay...you didn't know..."

Elena Parts the Hug as I gave her my sidearm just in case. I sigh silently.

"I need to walk..."

I got up from the Bunk and exit the tent, leaving the two back in the tent as I put my hands in my pocket and walked around Base. I couldn't save all of them...I could have...

"Nantz?"

I hear a voice asks as I quickly stop and see Tuka sitting against the wall with her hands on her knees, she was obviously crying. I sat beside her, putting my arm around her as she looks at me in confusion.

"Don't worry...I know what you've been through..."

She sniffs while wiping the tears off her eyes.

"Can we...just Talk?"

I forced a comforting smile as I gave her a nod. We started to talk about my world and hers, sharing memories and funny stories.

Tuka eventually went back to the refugee section. I see Lelei approaching me with a dragon scale from the battle.

"Excuse me Lance Corporal Nantz, I have a request for a mission outside this base."

She says as I gave her a nod.

"Alright follow me, your gonna have to take it to my brother..."

Meanwhile...

Elena can be seen alone in the tent as Kuribayashi went to find (Y/N). She was holding a picture of her and (Y/N) in Hawaii. The picture shows them in their Cammies behind a beautiful Beach with Other Marines in the background, both of them putting up bunny ears behind them. Elena Stares at (Y/N) in the picture who was a private at the time.

She Knew she Loved (Y/N) but she didn't want to ruin the friendship they already formed.

Elena sighs while placing away the picture in her pocket. She notices a picture on (Y/N)'s bunk as she grabs it to see Him receiving the Medal of Freedom in the White House with the Original Team Behind Him with President Obama Presenting it. She noticed there were scribbles on the picture as she reads it.

"Why Do I get to Live while Others Died...I don't Deserve this Medal...I'm not a Hero..."

She Reads it out loud while tears form in her eyes. He was broken...so broken, she just wanted to hug him tightly and kiss him while comforting him...

He stares at the cold look he had on his face at the picture, he still had bandages wrapped around his head with a sling on his arm.

She Slowly Places the Picture back on his Bunk as she Heard (Y/N)'s brother enter the room.

"Hey Elena, get to the Briefing room command needs us."

He says as Elena notices the rest of the team and (Y/N) Behind Them with some of the refugees as she nods and gets up.