Chapter 12

Antonio was sleeping soundly next to him. But Lovino couldn't.

There he was again. They had spent another wonderful night again. And tomorrow in the morning they would be going back home. Back to work, back to normal life. Back to the short remains of his worldly life.

Lovino turned around to look at Antonio. He reached for his cheek with his hand, careful to not wake him up.

He was so important to Lovino. He was the most beautiful thing in his life. As he lightly ran his fingers on the sleeping Spaniard's cheek, he could not hold back tears. He didn't know if there was a God, a life after death or stuff. But he knew that wherever he was going, it would be terrible without Antonio.

And Feli, and Belle, and his nephew (he had a distinct feeling it was a boy).

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." he said it as if he was chanting a psalm. He could not stop apologizing. He really had to leave something behind for everyone. Something where he explained everything. So that they would get over his death quickly. So that they would think back of him with a smile.

Or something.

Lovino kept apologizing for a long time before finally falling asleep.
________________________________________

The sunlight hit Lovino straight in the face, making him wake up suddenly. He sat up on the bed, sleepy and confused.

"Morning, mi vida! Rise and shine, we have a train to catch!"

Lovino's foul morning mood told him to just headbutt the Spaniard really hard in the balls for that wake up call.

"... I swear, one of these days you'll tell me how you can be so bouncy in the morning. Are you even human."

"Ahaha! Of course, mi querido. Now come on, get the bags and let's go!"

A feeling of sudden dread invaded Lovino's mind. The bags! Had Antonio touched his bag! Had he found the vicodin! Holy fuck!
______________________________________

Antonio stared as Lovino's eyes filled with horror. What was it about?

"Lovi? Are you ok?"

Lovino's eyes shot up to Antonio.

"... did you... you know... did you make my bag?"

Antonio had a distinct feeling that he was missing a vital piece of the conversation.

"No, you made it yesterday. Your bag is right where you left it."

Lovino looked as if a cloud of smoke had lifted from his eyes. "Oh! Oh, okay then, cool. So, the train."

He sat up in the bed and started getting out of his pajamas.

Antonio looked at him dumbfounded for a moment, before smacking his forehead and saying "Right, the train."
_______________________________________

Lovino was feeling really, really, really relieved during the walk to the station. For a moment there he had thought that Antonio had seen his blasted pain killers. And that he would have been discovered.