chapter eighteen

🐹💭 ៸៸

Maxwell called me earlier for dinner. I don't know what the occasion is, but it seems like he wanted to tell me something, and he was so determined about it because it was visible in his voice.

I had already arrived, and I was surprised no one was here at our favorite restaurant. Did he rent this for us?

"Miss Min, this way, please," A waiter offered me, and I followed him, and there I saw Maxwell in a white tuxedo with his hair pushed back. He looked handsome as ever.

"What's with you today?" I giggled as soon as the waiters left. He approached me while smiling, his eyes were disappearing, and it's my favorite feature with him.

"Nothing, just a normal night," he replied while offering me the chair and gladly sitting on it.

"Maxwell, did you get paid double today? This is a once-in-a-blue-moon event," I teased him.

"Just for you," he replied, he's really good at sweet words.

The food arrived after a minute as I expected, he's really good at these, so I'm happy every time he invites me to dinner because he knows the things I don't want and want very well. I wish Maxwell would find a girlfriend who is as caring as he is and will also care for him. He has taken care of me for so many years, and it's his time now.

We ate and talked, and he listens very well to me. A good listener indeed.

When we finished eating, I was surprised when Maxwell suddenly slid a box across the table and gave it to me.

"What's this?" I asked him.

"A gift"

"You don't need to. Stop spending things for me. This dinner is enough, really" I slid him back the box, but he stopped it.

"That gift was already years late," he smiled, pushing the box back to me. That explains the dust in the box since it's already old. Why didn't he give me this back then?

I opened it and saw the familiar necklace. It was the necklace he bought for the 'special someone' back when we were in high school.

I looked at him, confused.

"Remember the time we bought that? I was about to give that to you, but I realized you're already wearing a necklace that time," He said. I remember the necklace he was pertaining to, and it was Dylan's gift.

"And remember I told you that it was for the 'special someone?" I nodded.

"It was you, Karina"

"What do you mean?"

"I like you, Karina," he confessed, making me freeze on the spot. Has he liked me since high school? Why can't I even notice that?

"I can't just keep it from you forever. I wanted my thoughts to set me free" he smiled. Why did he keep it from me? I didn't know how to act in front of him. He knows all my problems, mainly my rants about Dylan.

"Did I hurt you a lot?" I asked, looking at him. He just patted my head and looked me straight in the eye. "Yes, you did, but it wasn't your fault since you didn't know it. It's your feelings, Karina. I can't control them. It was my choice to fall in love with you."

"I never noticed that someone is falling in love with me while I'm being blind," I sighed, feeling sorry.

"Sorry, Maxwell. It must've hurt a lot seeing many of those'' I apologized. Maxwell didn't deserve this.

"It's part of the consequence when I decided to fall in love with you, Karina; you did great. I never wanted to tell you about this since I felt like you would blame yourself, and I'm right. Stop blaming yourself" He comforted me.

I was surprised when he approached me and hugged me tightly, I hugged him back, and I stood up properly to hug him more tightly.

"Thank you for everything you have done for me, Maxwell," I cried. I felt that he was already crying but knowing him, he didn't want to let me see his weak side.

"Karina, I need to go. Promise me not to blame yourself, okay?" He kissed my forehead and handed me a letter before he left.

-

Dear Karina,

You already knew about my feelings by this time; I hope you're not blaming yourself for hurting me since your presence made it all heal. I'm so sorry for being a coward towards you; I acted tougher since I wanted to protect you, but then I realized that you're growing older, and you can manage to help yourself up. Please still call me if you can't go on.

I'm so sorry about the issue Dylan's been talking about, Karina. I never told you that I hired a bodyguard to keep bad people from approaching you, including Dylan. I know it's not my place, and that's what I'm sorry about. I'll reflect and do better for you and me.

We can still be friends since we've been friends in all of our lives. I'm just happy to be in every step of the way. I hope you can achieve more. I'm so glad for everything you achieved.

Thank you for keeping me going. I do love you, and please remember that.

Unknown Lover,

Maxwell Park