063

CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
determined.

AS POPE STOOD AT the alter in silence, slowly drifting his eyes along the ceiling of the his relatives church.

He turned to the group, "Denmark would've stood right here...preaching to everyone he set free. A slave,
the sole survivor of the Royal Merchant, he got the gold and the cross, and he brought them both to shore and used it to free every person who walked through those doors. He made a church, a family, a congregation... a home. And the Limbreys took everything from him. They sicced dogs on his wife and his kids, and when he tried to get her remains, they hung him. Well, I'm done. I'm tired of that shit. That is not how this is gonna end. We need a freaking win, guys.I'm going to get my family's cross. You guys coming?"

"Maybe we should think about it, you know?" Aria tucked her fallers strands behind her ears, "Pros and cons."

"Pros and cons list?" JJ nodded, laughing as he glanced at the boy, "Hell yeah, we're coming, Pope!"

The group cheered as they threw open the heavy doors, nearly running to the Twinkie in urgency, smiles on their faces as their feet hit the fallen leaves.

In this moment they thought nothing could possibly kill their moods, the van pacing down the road, sirens in the distant had them furrowing their brows.

Aria whipped her head around the passenger seat, flashing red and blue lights made her stomach sink as the police cars gathered around her crashed truck, "Oh shit! They found the truck."

"Chill, chill, chill, chill." Pope urged, eying the panicking girl.

"Of course." JJ muttered, placing a hat over his tussled blonde strands as he hid his face, pursuing his lips.

John B glanced at the rest of the friends, bringing the Twinkie to a complete stop, "All right, just relax. Just relax."

Shoupe began to approach the slightly damaged van, which he immediately recognized as he shined his light over it, "Well, lookee here."

"Good evening, Officer." John B flicked his eyes up to the man, the light making his eyes get smaller as he blinked them shut.

"Sheriff, yeah." Shoupe corrected the boy as he glanced around the van.

John B hummed, "Sheriff. Yeah, that's right. Speed kills, huh?"

"I pulled the tags, and I know whose truck that is." The man dictated, he eyes the girl attempting to stay hidden in the back, his flashlight running over her, "Hey! Ari, you drop your weed pen back there?"

She slowly lifted her head up, her lips in a flat line as she stuck her thumb up, "Found it."

"Sheriff, I just wanna say that this is all my fault. She had nothing to do with this. I take 100% responsibility." Pope jumped in, taking the full blame for the crash.

Shoupe only looked unfazed, "Nothing to do with it? Uh-huh. You wanna try that again? Your mother reported the truck missing four hours ago, and the keys were missing from the house. I'm taking you home. Or I can pull you all in for leaving the scene of an accident."

"Okay." The girl caved in.

"Good. Plumb." Shoupe turned to his partner, keeping the flashlight on the girl as she shifted on the floor of the van.

Plumb walked around to the side of the Twinkie, opening the side door where Aria sat, she exited the van, all of the friends staring at her helplessly.

"I gotta deal. Hit me up later and make sure I'm still alive." She frowned slightly, bidding goodbye as she shut the side door, following the female officer.

She walked, her head down as Shoupe directed her into one of the police cars, she slid in as the car engine was turned on.

Shoupe began to drive, Plumb beside him in the passenger seat, Aria was already hoping this ride would be over soon, she'd rather be getting lectured by her mother at this point.

"Do you remember what I told you the first time I caught you hanging around with the Pogues?" He flicked his eyes up through the mirror to look at the silent girl.

She nodded, playing with the gold ring on her finger, "Yes I do."

"You're just getting yourself into deeper shit, kid." Shoupe began to lecture, "I get it. You've been through a lot recently. But it's not an excuse to act out, Aria. I'm trying to help you."

"Right. I forgot the many times you fucked me over and pretended like I was mentally unstable." The girl chuckled, "I don't need your help, Shoupe. I'd much rather survive on my own. Thanks."

The car came to a slow stop in front of the Campbell estate, she cut off Shoupe words as she slammed the car door closed, her shoes digging into the gravel as she stepped up the house.

Her mother stood by the front door, her arms cross in front of her as she glared at her daughter with complete disgust.

"Inside now, Aria."

authors note <3

sorry for the small chapter my luvs!!
next one is gonna be good i promise
this isa two part!! so next chapter is already
posted ;)