🖤Secret Getaway • Barbatos🖤

Summary
MC is feeling tired and sad because of the wintertime, and Barbatos might have just the thing to help out. (Aka, access to a private beach.)

Contains
MC with (He/They) pronouns, tea, Summertime, Can be read as platonic or romantic

***

Needing space away from the chaotic House of Lamentation, MC decided to visit the Demon Lord's castle.

For most of his stay, he found himself relaxing in a pleasant cushioned chair in the fancy tea room. The warm lighting, the sweet smells of spices, and the flowers and herbs growing out of assorted pots were wonderfully vibrant. The richness of color and light uplifted his gloomy mood, and fulfilled his wish for springtime to return.

"Good afternoon," a voice directly behind him greeted.

MC was startled to suddenly see Barbatos standing right next to him. "Oh! Barbatos! I didn't hear you come in!" Taking a proper look at the demon, he realized he was wearing an apron and latex gloves.

"Apologies, _____. I am in the habit of walking silently, so as to not disturb anyone. I see it may be counter-intuitive, though."

MC tried not to stare at him longer than what would be polite. They weren't used to seeing him in such... domestic attire. His apron was a pleasant shade of deep dark gray, and the front pocket had flowers sticking out of it. They politely looked away. "Erm... Don't worry about it. I'm just lost in my head, is all."

"What's wrong?" He implored, while striding to the shelves of herbs.

"It's silly, really." MC replied, leaning back and staring at the ceiling. "I don't think it'd be something a demon could understand."

Barbatos carefully plucked some leaves of peppermint and considered their words. "I'm sure it's not as silly as you think," he gently said. Barbatos, unbeknownst to his companion, was curious of their every thought, and observant of their every word. Although he had walked into the room intending to make a floral tea, he decided he'd rather brew a zingy concoction to help their tiredness, with some strong ingredients to clear up the slight congestion that he could hear in their chest. "You needn't respond if you do not wish to, but Is there any way I could help?" He peeled his gloves off and disposed of them once he was finished collecting plants.

MC laughed at him, shaking their head. Barbatos didn't recall saying anything humorous enough to solicit laughter. He tied the herbs in a bag and set it into his kettle. "Oh Barbatos, unless you can control the weather, it's a lost cause."

"Does the coldness outside upset you?" It had been an unusually long winter in the Devildom. He waited for their response, and for the water to boil.

They tiredly rested their head in their arms. "It does. It really does. But it's not just the cold... It's the darkness. it's the way the air smells. It's the lack of color and life. At least there's still light in the human world, but here..."

Barbatos was saddened to see his companion so dejected by factors outside of their control, and upset by the realm he called home. "Perhaps you underestimate my abilities."

"Do I?" They asked, head peeking up. "I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if you could control the weather..."

Barbatos shook his head with a small smile. "No, I cannot. But I do have a solution to propose." He removed the kettle from the stove, and turned the temperature down. "But first, some tea."