midnight

It was the weekend and I decided to wake up early and go for a walk. The flowers were gone and no one was awake yet so it felt eerie.

Gma:sweetie. Nothing is open yet are you sure you want to go out?
Ren:ya, I just wanna go for a walk. I'll be back before breakfast.
Gpa:oh that reminds me we made plans with the neighbors to our left. The saikis. They have a boy about your age.

Great. Well at least I can have this time alone. I walked around the neighborhood, finding shortcuts to school and around town. When I got back my gparents left a note on the door telling me to meet then at the neighbors house. I went over and knocked on the door.

Saiko:oh...hi. come in.
Ren:thanks.

I followed saiki to the table where his parents and my gparents sat. I sat on the end infront of saiki and listened to the conversation happening.

Mrs.saiki: oh wow you know, I think I remeber that.
Mrs.saiki:wait no that was a little girl, I remeber that because we made jokes about her marrying kuso or kusuke since she got along so well with both the boys.
Gma:oh...well actually

The stopped and stared at me. I realized that they wanted to tell this family im trans. I didn't think too much about it but I didn't answer. Then I heard the voice again.

"So it was you. You have the same memories..."
Ren:im trans. I was a little girl when I met your sons. But please understand it is meant to be a secret, the school requested it to be that way.
Mrs.s:oh of course! Wow I wouldn't have guessed.
Mr.s:yeah! You look so much like a boy.

I got up and took my plate to the kitchen and held my tongue. I knew starting a scene wouldn't be ok, especially right now. Then the voice again.

"You shouldn't feel afraid to defend yourself"

Gma:thats very rude. He is a boy now and then. He just didn't express it as much. I understand where your ignorance comes from but please understand you can't say things like that to transgender people. Its not only impolite but its also very harmful.

My grandma and pa took me back home. We thanked them for the meal and they tried to apologize but I turned ignoring the words. Yes I was hurt but I felt numb to the comments and apologies at this point. My gparents tried to make me feel better but I wasn't in the mood. I decided to spend the day in my room doing homework for longer than I needed to. When I finally stopped I looked out the window and it was night. I opened my door to a dark house and found a plate of food left for me, along with a note that just had a heart and a smiley face on it. I brought the cold food in and went downstairs for something to drink.

"Are you ok?"

I ignored it still.

"Do you know who I am?"

Then it hit me. I thought this was just a ghost...something not real in my head.

"Come outside?"

I refused to listen and went back upstairs to eat my meal. I tried to ignore the windows and only looked at my food.

"OK then. Goodbye."

And I finally looked outside to see nothing. A few couples out and the stars barley making a dim light due to the city lights blocking them. I took a deep breath and went back down to clean up my plate. My gma was down there waiting for me.

Gma:hey, are you feeling better?
Ren:ya. I know it wasn't on purpose and I should let it go. I'll probably stay mad until I go to bed.
Gma:alright sweetie. Hey I heard there's a festival tonight and tomorrow if you wanna go?
Ren:when does it end?
Gma:next Saturday. But I think I heard fireworks if you wanna go see it on the roof.

I hugged her goodnight and headed up with a jacket and some tea. I looked at my phone, as midnight struck the fireworks came up.

Saiki:fireworks are nice.
Ren:how did you get up here!
Saiki:....*points to ladder*
Ren:ok whyd you come up here.
Saiki:I wanted to apologize for my parents behavior. They feel bad for how they reacted and it wasn't right of them to speak before they thought.
Ren:its fine.

I looked back at the next explosion. I really do like fireworks, but i also just wanted to be alone. Saiki looked back up admiring the fireworks and i crawled back into my house. i waited for a little to see if he headed home but fell asleep before i could see him leave. when i woke up it was morning and my grandparents told me they had to go to the store if i wanted to come. I shook my head and went to grab some eggs.