Eight

WAKING TO THE smell of coffee, Sam pushed himself up onto his elbows in bed. He cringed as his head pounded. He knew his body needed more sleep. Glancing over at the digital clock on the nightstand between the two beds, he read two o'clock.

Letting out a puff of air, he plopped back down on the bed. Even with them getting to bed at seven in the morning, he still got seven hours of sleep, but it didn't feel like enough.

"Hey! You gonna get outta bed or what? We have a human to hunt."

Sam grunted at Dean's voice. He knew he needed to get up, but his legs felt too weak to hold his weight. He rolled himself upward and threw back the covers before standing to his feet.

It only took him fifteen minutes to shower and get dressed. He took a seat at the table in front of the window as Dean placed down a styrofoam cup in front of him. "Drink. You need the caffeine after last night."

Without arguing, Sam gripped the cup in his hand and raised it to his mouth. To his surprised, he found his hand shook as he held the cup. He furrowed his brow and cocked his head. Strange. He reasoned with himself that it was from lack of sleep, and took a sip of the hot drink before placing the cup back down.

"I've got something!" Jack shouted, leaping off the red sofa that rested against the wall. He swiftly stepped up to them, flipping around an iPad for Sam and Dean to see the screen.

Sam's vision blurred rendering him unable to read what it said. He rubbed his eyes with his finger and thumb.

"You alright?"

He looked over at his brother who gave him a concerned look, and grinned. "Yeah. Just not completely rested." He turned his head back around to face Jack. "What'd you find?"

"Jason Silvers social media," Jack said with a smile. "He lists right on here where he lives. I'm sure Benjamin has to be there."

Dean patted Jack on the back. "Good work. I'll call Cass and let him know where we're headed." He dumped the remains of his coffee into the sink and threw the cup away as he grabbed his brown leather jacket and headed out the door, Jack following behind him.

Sam, standing to his feet, grabbed his khaki jacket and threw it on. He lost his footing and stumbled, slamming into the threshold. He blinked several times as his vision zoomed in and out of focus. What was going on? Composing himself, he stepped out the door and closed it behind him.

*****

It felt like a long drive to the house as Dean, Jack, and Castiel all tried to formulate a plan. Sam tried to listen in, but he couldn't get his thoughts to focus. Instead, his mind felt jumbled. He leaned his head back against the back of the seat as he yawned. He imagined what he was feeling was just from the night he had had.

"Sam, you okay?"

He heard Dean's voice calling to him, but he couldn't get his lips to move as he felt his energy draining. He lifted his head and closed his eyes. Letting out a sigh, he bowed his head and his eyes slowly opened.

He gasped when he unexpectedly found his arms tied down to a chair. His heart began to race as he balled his hands into fists and pulled against the ropes trying to break free. How did he get here?

"Sam!"

Jerking, Sam turned his gaze to the left as Dean slammed on the breaks. He panted as he frantically glanced around. He was still in the impala—his family still around him.

"Sammy, you with us?"

Sam's gaze met Dean's; his older brother glared at him with a worried look. Letting out a sigh of relief, Sam nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry. Must've dozed off."