Under The Bridge

{Ashton}

I was breathing heavily, and I could feel the drops of sweat rolling down my neck, back, and chest. I was glad I had decided to wear a bandana today, as it stopped any from getting into my face. I closed my eyes for a second as I took in the scent in the air, there was nothing like going for a run in the park, particularly after not talking to your closest friends for a week.

I slowed down slightly, the sound of a single, lonely swing's chains filling my ears. I had decided against my headphones, just wanting some peace and quiet. I came to a stop, still jogging on the spot, looking over to see who was at the park so late, seeing it was close to midnight as I glanced at my watch. It was a nice, warm night but it still wasn't a good idea to be out this late, especially alone, which I noticed that person was.

I moved closer, and saw it was a girl, she had her back to me, so I moved forward slowly, not wanting to scare her, but I stopped when I got to the gate of the playground area, seeing her face slightly. I stepped away, hoping she hadn't seen me. I let out a sigh, sitting on a metal bench that was behind me, and just watched her as she swung, ever so slightly, keeping her feet close to the ground.

I sat, and watched her in silence. Her head resting on one of the chains. I don't think I've ever seen someone swing so sadly, and I couldn't just go up to her, and ask what was wrong. After this past month, I feel like I have completely lost my best friend, and I know it was mainly my fault.

I still remember the day we met like it was yesterday. I had spent the afternoon at the local swimming pool, practicing my laps, and upon finishing a set, I had gotten out, taking a seat by the edge of the water to rest for a moment before starting another. That's when she sat down next to me, even at the age of eleven, she had had the brightest eyes I'd ever seen.

"Can I help you?" I'd asked

Then she smiled. It was like sunshine, enough to turn anyone's frown upside down, and even though I was tired, and I was staring at a complete stranger, I smiled. A true smile. Then she spoke, and that's when I knew that that little eleven year old girl, would be my friend forever.

"You know, you shouldn't practice so much in one go. It just makes you tired, meaning you don't go as fast, and then you'll think you're not good anymore."

"But I have to, otherwise I won't win my meet. My coach said I've been slacking."

"How come?"

"Just home stuff."

"Is that why you come here all the time?" I'd looked at her then, and she giggled, "don't worry, I haven't been following you, I just noticed whenever I come here, you're here. You're a very good swimmer."

"Thanks." I'd blushed at her statement, being a thirteen year old boy, control of your body was pretty minimal.

"You should stop practicing now. You're not doing as good."