"I've worked too hard to end up with another member of the crazy family. You and your brother may not like each other but that's probably because you're exactly the same. Now, if you want me, you're going to have to go through your brother. Deal with him and if you win, we can revisit this topic."

"You're quite the teaser, aren't you?" He placed a finger under my chin and brought my face to his. "Unlike my stupid brother, I won't let you out of my sight. You can leave now Ms. Kane."

"Gladly." I walked to the door and then turned back. "And thank you for the champagne. Next time though, I'd prefer a Rosè."

"So there will be a next time?" I walked out of the room without giving him a reply. I went back to our booth to share the sad story with Erica, unfortunately, she had company.

"Erica...who's this?" I couldn't see who it was clearly but when he cleared his throat to speak, I realised who it was.

"It's nice to see you again Sophie."

"Sion, what are you doing here?"

"You know each other?" Erica asked as she looked between the both of us.

"Yeah. He's..." I couldn't find the words to describe him.

"I was a friend to one of her old flings. Isn't that right Sophie?"

"Yeah. Um, Erica, I think I'll duck out early. I have work in the morning and all that so..."

"I hope you aren't leaving because of me?" I couldn't even deal! I was angry at him but I just couldn't bring myself to show it. I would rather just go home and sleep through all this anger.

"Of course not." Erica said abruptly. "Are you sure you're ok?" She said as she turned back to me.

"Yeah. I just need to prepare for my first day back at work. You know I've been away for a while. Longer than I would've hoped." I said as my eyes shot daggers at Sion. He knew I was upset and he couldn't even look at me.

"Yeah. Well, I'll stop by tomorrow ok?"

"Ok." I smiled and walked out of the room. Walking out the door of the club felt strange. I had never felt so angry yet unsure about who to blame for my feelings. I could blame Leo for Franco's death or I could blame myself. I could blame Sion for not helping me get away from Leo or I could blame myself for staying to save an old woman. I could blame myself for everything that has happened to me or I could pass the blame to the people around me.

I cleared my mind as the valet pulled up with my car. I was about to get in when Sion ran up to me.

"Sophie wait." I turned and waited to hear what he had to say.

"What do you want?"

"I'm sorry. Look, I was selfish. I had gotten so used to having Karrion all to myself that I got angry when you came into the picture. He used to be so focused on work but then he started slacking and missing important meetings. I messed up and I'm sorry. You got terribly hurt because of my petty jealousy and I'm very sorry Sophie." He seemed genuine enough so I nodded quietly.

"It's fine. I get it."

"So are we good?"

"Yeah." I made a move to get into the car but he stopped me again.

"How's he?" I could see how broken up he was about his problems with Karrion and I felt hurt.

"He's Karrion. He doesn't let anything show, especially not to me."  He actually looked disappointed.

"Why am I not surprised? Could you just...let him know that I'm really sorry?"

"I'll do it. But not because you asked, but because he needs you. You fucked up with me, that shouldn't affect your relationship with him."

"Thank you. And I hope that you and I can build a better relationship over time."

"I wouldn't count on that." I got into my car and drove off. Being back in my own place without Leo or Franco, felt different. But not in a bad way. For the first time, I felt like I could start afresh. There was nothing holding me back this time. I knew that I had a lot to do, but I was willing to put in the work. I wanted a new start.

As the days passed, I came to the realization that staying here in Italy wasn't the right choice any longer. I wanted to get away from everything that reminded me of Leo. As for Franco, I never wanted to forget him. I packed a few bags, ready to leave for a while, but I had one last thing to take care of.

Finding Karrion was extremely difficult, so I found a way to always bring him to me. He always had some men watching me. I just had to do something extreme to bring him to me. Right now, extreme was going to Leo's place. I was instantly allowed in because I was a regular. Everything was the same. It seemed like nobody had been in here since the night of the ball.

Say what you will about Leo, but the man had good taste in women and alcohol. I poured myself a glass of Scotch and stood at the balcony. I knew he would be here soon enough. And after like 15 minutes, the door flung open.

"Sophie! Sophie!!" I walked back in to see a very furious Karrion waiting for me.

"How did you even get up here? Who let you in?"

"I'm asking the questions here! What are you doing back here?"

"I needed to talk to you."

"And you couldn't call?! You had to put yourself through this mental trauma?!"

"I love the drama. Plus, it just proves my point that you have your men on me."

"Of course I did! And can you blame me? This impulsive..." He backed me and forced himself to calm down. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"A drink first?" I walked to him and offered my drink.

"No. What is it?"

"It's about Sion." He stepped back and gave me a stern look.

"What about him?"

"I ran into him at the club yesterday, and he wants you to know how sorry he is about everything." He eyed me in disbelief.

"He had the audacity to talk to you?! He's gone."

"Look, I can understand your anger, but I just don't want you to end up regretting the choices you're making now. He's the closest person you have."

"And he betrayed me. He threw you in harm's way."

"Then I should be the one who's angry here."

"No!" He was stressed. I could see it in his general appearance. His usual composure was absent. "You may not understand me, but understand this. You have become my top priority! And that means that you have also become a high target for my enemies. I need to ensure that my men, down to the lowest man on my team, has your safety as his top priority! When I'm not there, I need to know that they would die to protect you! And that is how much trust I put in those men! And the best part, I've constantly gained their trust back. Sion broke that chain! If I can't trust him with you, then I can't trust him with anything else. And that makes him useless to me."

I knew that Karrion had felt something for me right from the start. But I forced myself to believe that it was just lust. Turns out, it's more than that.