"Today at 5pm."

"Can we switch it to tomorrow morning, please?"

"Why?" Sophia looked over at her as she tapped her card and tucked it into her wallet.

"I-I just have a couple of things to do."

She remembered that Alex hadn't invited her out to meet her friends . Hat was an event that she didn't want to miss. The thought of meeting new people outside of her town made her excited. All she had was Penny and it grew lonely at times.

There were moments where Penny didn't understand the way that Yazmin felt when it came to being in their boxed in world. Her surroundings pushed her to vent to her journal. It was better to have an outlet that couldn't respond rather than people that just didn't understand or try to understand you.

Sophia's eyebrows furrowed with confusion, but she brushed it off.

Yazmin followed them out of the store and sighed heavily.

-

The sun began to set and the winds were no longer warm. The gated community was as quiet as a mouse. The only thing being heard was the sound of music playing in Yazmin's room.

She looked in the mirror and tilted her head to the side as she examined the outfit she had purchased from a store she'd gone to with Alex. The long sleeve crop top rested a bit above her navel and blue mom jeans. She slipped on her leather jacket and pulled her curls out.

Quickly, Yazmin looked out of the window and cursed under her breath at the sight of Curtis' car in their large driveway along with her mother's car. She hadn't left yet, but she hoped that she was in her office overwhelmed with work. That meant that she'd be occupied with paperwork and a glass of wine for the entire night. That's all she did when she was back home.

Yazmin strolled down the stairs and headed down the large hallway. She stood across from the big brown door and lightly knocked.

"Who is it?"

"Me..."

Slowly, Yazmin opened the door and peeked her head inside. The last thing she wanted was for her mother to see her outfit and give her an entire lecture that would hold her up.

"I'm leaving now."

"Okay, let Curtis know when he should be picking you up."

"Yeah, I know."

As she began to close the door, her movements came to a halt at the sound of her mother's voice.

"Yazmin?"

"Yeah?"

"Where did you say you were going again?"

"Just gonna hang out with Penny," She shrugged.

Sophia waved her off and watched as she quickly closed the door. Yazmin sped towards the kitchen and peeked inside to see Mama Mai grabbing a pastry out of the oven and shutting it close.

"I thought you were gonna stay for dinner..."

"No, I'm gonna eat at Penny's. I'll see you later."

"Alright."

Slipping on her shoes, she made her way outside to see Curtis standing by the back door of the sleek black car. He held open the door for her and chuckled as she tapped his shoulder before she slid into the car.

"Thank you."

Once they got themselves situated, he quickly drove out past the gates.

"Did you eat?"