Her tone was nothing less than disfigured and exhausted, although it was soothing to Xiao's ears. It made him feel at ease, the position he was in immediately changing as he shifted around so he sat up in his chair while crossing his arms over his chest.

Instinctively, he nodded to acknowledge her presence, silently watching as she sat on the entrance step and began to take off her shoes, placing them neatly beside his own.

"[ Name ]. I see you're still viable."

Having her name thrown into the air instilled a perfect sense of equilibrium to him, as if he were finally at peace knowing he was talking to her right now instead of waiting for her to return from her biddings.

"Glad to see you're so happy to see me." She sarcastically replied with a roll of her eyes, unaware of how utterly hopeless he would become when she wasn't around.

Hearing the click of his tongue, [ Name ] had decided to continue to relax herself as she stretched largely to rid those aches from her activities of today, which weren't ones regular people would usually indulge in.

Most people that took shelter within the inn would only live here temporarily, as they mainly consisted of travelers, adventurers, and tourists of sorts-- excluding staff of course. The only exception would be the "Freeloading Yakshas" as Verr Goldet liked to refer to the pair as, but that title was all in a joking matter since she was admittedly appreciative of their presence.

Not only would the two protect the inn from surrounding monsters and those intending to cause it any harm or pilfer to the establishment, [ Name ] in particular was such a wonder to have. She always offered her help, and unlike Xiao, was not reluctant in the slightest when interacting with humans. She would assist in any job when they were short staffed, whether that be waitressing, helping chef Yanxiao in the kitchen, or even with infrastructure and repairs.

Having them stay at the inn was the least of Verr Goldet's worries, in fact if circumstances were different, she probably would have paid them to stay there.

The endless battle they fought daily was something she pitied, and she was always sure to show them her utmost respect, for the contract they were bound to was a boldly written one.

Xiao slid his fingers underneath his left glove before sliding it off and placing it atop the table, opting to put it away in its proper place later, before repeating the procedure with his second glove.

The rain continued to pour, sounding much more gentler now than rough from Xiao's perspective.

"Did they drag you around to help out again? Don't they know of your responsibilities--" Xiao started with irritation lacing his voice, but he was quickly cut off by his companion.

"--I told you I don't mind it." She firmly said, unfastening her sleeve buttons as she shook her head.

He could only remain silent as a response, hearing the same reason every time to the point he could recite it if he had to.

"The interactions keep me from going insane." She further explained, though having heard this before as well, he had time to think over her words and form a proper response. One he had wondered for some time now.

"What about me? Don't we have interactions?" He asked while his eyebrow furrowed in sync with the soft frown pulling down at his lips.

"That's different."

She was quick to dismiss his counter, instead opting to continue settling down with her back facing him, unable to see his reaction.

"So I'm not enough." Xiao simply stated as if it were a fact, [ Name ] immediately stopping what she was doing to turn her head to look at him from over her shoulder.