Eighteenth Trial

BRYSON 18

SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (GRADE 11)

CANDACE'e eyes fluttered open when she heard a sound of breaking glass. Her heart pounded, and even with her hazy state, she immediately sat up, and went out of bed to check what was it, or where did it come from. An idea came in Candace's mind but she's hoping that it is not her parents like she used to know, and as she walked down stairs, she's holding into hopes.

She's hoping that it was just an accident.

She's hoping that it's not her mom, or her dad.

She's hoping for the impossible.

She's hoping that her parents are downstairs, having a great time, and a glass slipped in the kitchen counter because of their playfulness, while waiting for her to wake up. She's hoping that it is what she's hoping for, even though every morning, a silence—a dreadful silence will greet her down stairs.

And when she finally reached downstairs, her heart thumped in excitement when she saw her mom in the living room...but it was a snap of excitement when she saw her mom wiping her tears, and pulling her hair out of frustrations.

Bumagal ang lakad niya, at hindi alam ang sasabihin. Napatingin siya sa main door, at nakita niya mula sa driveway ng bahay nila ang sasakyan ng ama na papalabas ng gate nila.

Malalim siyang napalunok. She can feel her insides tearing apart, once again.

Absentmindedly, she walked towards her mom, like how she walked towards her father days ago when she got home late because she's with Bryson up until midnight, comforting her, because both of her parents cannot do it in their accord.

They know nothing about her, as much she knows nothing about her parents either.

"Mommy..." she called. She felt like a little kid even though she's almost on her legal age.

Parang natauhan ang ina niya at umangat ang tingin nito sa kaniya, habang naka-upo siya sa sofa. Candace played wit her fingers, not knowing what to say.

"Princess..." balik na tawag nito. Halata sa boses ng ina ang pagod na hindi niya malaman kung saan nanggaling, at kung bakit ito pagod.

"Do you need something?" it sounded careless.

Candace wanted to smile bitterly, hearing her mom asked.

Umiling lang siya bago unti-unting tumalikod.

Candace silently walked back to her room. She has a lot of needs to say. She has a lot of things to say to her mom. She has a lot of questions to ask. All of her life was full on confusion that she's trying to ignore just for the sake of her family. She's trying to be unbothered from the eyes of her parents around her because she knows, that once she asked...once she slipped...she knows that there would be a consequence on it, and she can't bear to handle it.

She can't bear to lose the family she's trying hard to hold together...even it consumes her.

She will strive harder... she will do anything... she will not be losing any hope like what she promised to her father that night.

She won't give up.

That time will come, that her family will be back like how it used to.

Like even she has no single emotion on her face, but her heart will be at its fullest.

She will just be patient...