Chapter 8

After making sure the kids were safe and unharmed, you all returned to the Marcovaldo household. Massimo had just finished making pasta as they entered. "Oh, there you are. I made your favorite, trenette al pesto." Massimo said as he turned around with the pasta. His smile faded when noticed Alberto was missing from the group. "Where's Alberto?" Massimo asked. "Uh, he left, Signor Marcovaldo." Luca answered. Massimo set the pasta down before he walked to the door and grabbed his hat. "Do you know where he went?" Massimo asked. "No, but I don't think he wants anyone looking for him." You answered. "Maybe not, but just in case." Massimo said as he grabbed a lantern and left with his cat. You felt something tug at your heart as you watched Massimo leave. It was like watching Massimo care about Alberto made your heart realize it was missing something. What that something was, you didn't know.

Luca turned to you, Oswald, and Giulia. "Okay. Well, the two of us can still do the race." Luca said to Giulia. Giulia's eyes widened a bit in shock. "You'll swim, you'll eat, you've done both before..."
"Luca, I..." Giulia tried to say. "... and I'll do the ride. I mean, that's allowed, right? Y/N and Oswald are doing that." Luca rambled. "Luca." Oswald tried to get Luca's attention. "It should be fine." Luca continued to ramble. "Luca?" You also tried to get Luca's attention. "We're still okay..." Luca was starting to panic. "Luca!" Giulia yelled. Giulia grabbed a nearby cup for water and tried to splash Luca with it. Luca quickly shielded himself with his hands, but the water had turned his skin into scales.

You, Oswald, and Giulia stared at Luca's transformed hands as all the dots started to connect. "Sleeping under the fish. Now it makes sense." You said as you slapped your forehead. "Uh, I can explain." Luca said as he dried his hands, changing his hands from scales to skin. "Of all the places for sea monsters to visit, Portorosso!? Have you seen this town!? My father hunts sea monsters!" Giulia said as she indicated the harpoons hanging on the wall. "Luca, you have to get out of here. It's not safe for you." Oswald said as he guided Luca to the door. "But I thought we were underdogs. All of us." Luca said. "Do you think we want you to leave? This is happiest I've..." Giulia inhaled to stop herself. "Look, it's just not worth it." Giulia said. "You guys don't understand." Luca said. "No, we don't. Risking your life for a Vespa?" You asked. "My parents were gonna send me away. That's why we did all of this." Luca admitted. You all froze at the confession. Luca slowly looked down. "But it's over now." Luca said. Giulia frowned as Luca sighed. "Goodbye, Giulia, Oswald, Y/N. I'm sorry." Luca said before leaving.

Giulia sighed, clearly sad that see her friend go. Luca was also a sea monster. But why would his parents want to send him away? Why would he betray Alberto earlier? You looked at Oswald and saw he was asking himself the same questions. Oswald looked back at you and came to the same conclusion. We have to look for Luca. "Giulia, stay here. We're gonna go find Luca. It's not safe out there during this time." Oswald said. "Because of those monsters from before?" Giulia asked. "Yeah. It's best of you stay here where it's safe." You answered. Giulia nodded. "Be careful." Giulia said before walking upstairs to her room. "Come on, Y/N." Oswald said as he walked out the door. You soon followed after.

You and Oswald searched the shoreline first, hopeful that Luca hadn't disappeared into the ocean depths. It didn't take long to find Luca sitting on the shore, looking straight ahead aimlessly. You took a sigh of relief to find Luca unharmed and not attacked by any Heartless. You and Oswald made your way to Luca and sat down next to him. Luca jumped in surprise once he noticed the two of you. "Y/N!? Oswald!?" Luca asked. "Don't worry. We just wanted to make sure you were okay." Oswald said. Luca calmed down. "Oh..." Luca said before staring back at the ocean.

It was silent for a moment until you broke it. "If you don't mind me asking, why did your parents want to send you away?" You asked. Luca took a deep breath. "They didn't like that I was sneaking up to the surface. They always said that the surface was dangerous and that humans would kill us on sight. But me and Alberto were always careful, and there are so many wonderful things up here. My parents were gonna send me to the deep with my weird uncle, taking me away from everything that I loved. That's why we were trying to get a Vespa. To run away and see the world." Luca explained. You took a second to process everything he said. "And about what happened earlier today?" You asked. Luca tensed up, knowing what you were referring to. "I-I panicked. I wasn't thinking straight and just... reacted. I felt really guilty as soon as I said it. I didn't want to hurt Alberto's feelings, but I ended up doing that." Luca said.