We're Jinxed - Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

Neither of them missed a beat as Natalia scooped Jinx up in her arms, embracing the slightly taller girl as they both clung to each other. After Natalia's near death experience, it was the biggest relief she had ever felt to see the most important person to her again.

"It's okay, Jinx," Natalia was trying extremely hard to hold in tears, both at seeing Jinx, and from watching the reunion before her. "I went with Vi so I could bring her back to you, but things went wrong. I promise I didn't leave you, I promise."

Vi watched with wide, teary eyes at their exchange, carefully observing the way Jinx so heavily leaned on Natalia.

"I knew you didn't, I knew," Jinx sniffled. "I thought someone took you, stole you from me."

"I'd never leave you, Ji," Natalia buried her face in the crook of Jinx's neck. "Never. Not for anything."

But as the two girls held onto each other, never breaking apart even for a second, Caitlyn was quick to hurry up the stairs after Vi and Natalia. And when she arrived at the top of the platform, Natalia wished with all she had in her that she would have stayed back.

"Who's she?" Jinx immediately sprung into action, possessively pushing Natalia behind her as she whipped out her machine gun, sending a bewildered glance back at Vi.

"Who are you?" Caitlyn narrowed her dark blue eyes, which shone with suspicion.

"It's okay," Vi attempted to defuse the situation. "She's a friend."

"Sevika wasn't lying about this, either?" Jinx's voice was incredulous and dripping with the pain of perceived betrayal. "You're both with an enforcer?"

"No, no, Jinx," Natalia swore, earning a long look from Jinx from over the skittish girl's shoulder. "My only intention was to bring Vi back to you. Caitlyn's not a threat."

Jinx seemed to think for a minute, letting Natalia stay in close proximity as she bit her bottom lip with sharp teeth.

Caitlyn glanced down towards the Gemstone, having been pushed slightly away by Jinx's boot. Something seemed to click in her mind as her face betrayed realization.

"Your sister is... Jinx?"

"Caitlyn just... listen, we can work this out," Vi offered, putting two diplomatic hands between Jinx and Caitlyn.

Natalia pursed her lips into a thin line, placing a hand on Jinx's shoulder as Jinx wrapped a hand on Natalia's waist from behind.

"This is a trick," Jinx's voice was rising as she directed all of her suspicion at Vi. "You're playing me!"

All of a sudden she jerked back from everyone, pointing her gun at figures that could only be seen by her as the voices talked to her once again.

"Shut up! I'm in no mood."

Vi and Caitlyn looked beyond bewildered, but Natalia's face was taut with concern. She knew this happened whenever Jinx's stress levels were pushed over the edge, and nothing good ever came of it.

"We didn't say anything." Caitlyn's expression was dripping with confusion.

"I wasn't talking to you!" Jinx shot back, pointing the machine gun right at Caitlyn.

"Jinx," Natalia softly said, moving to place a gentle hand on Jinx's arm. "It's okay. Take some deep breaths. I'm here."

Jinx glanced back at Natalia, eyes flickering with relief at her being there, and yet also intense terror.

"Powder, it's okay—"

Vi's long dead name for Jinx seemed to trigger her once again, making the girl whip around to face her estranged sister.