2

You woke up the next day and got ready for school. You brushed through your hair, brushed your teeth, and put on your uniform. You made your way to the kitchen and grabbed some quick breakfast and sat at the table. Once finished you threw your trash away and grabbed your things before heading to the door. You slipped on your shoes and began your walk to school.

     You always tried to leave early to lessen your chance of running into any of the bullies from the other day. If you were already in school, or on school grounds they couldn't do anything right? Right? Wrong. You walked onto school grounds and was immediately pushed to the floor,  your still bandaged knees coming in contact with the concrete.

"We didn't get to finish our little discussion we were having yesterday. Your... friend seemed to have interrupted us, which isn't nice." The bully said picking you up from the ground.

"Yeah, we had so much to talk about." Another kid said.

"I thought I said you'd get more than a simple punch if I see you guys picking on her again." A low voice said from the school gates.

You looked over and saw Ran leaning against the gates. You felt a small push from the bully before the group scrambled to the school.

"What are you doing here?" You asked walking over to the gates.

"I was um... just passing by and saw what was happening so I decided to stop it again." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"Mhm." You said nodding your head. "Well I have class to get to so I'm gonna go." You said pointing back to the school.

     He nodded and waved before walking past the school as you made your way to the building. Your classes were boring as usual, just noting taking and reviewing. Once the lunch bell rang you grabbed your lunch and went outside to sit. You were halfway through your meal before you noticed the group looking around the grounds. Assuming they were looking for you, you attempted to pack up your lunch before someone sat next to you.

"You know I don't think you're allowed on school grounds, Ran." You pointed out looking over at him.

"Eh. No one pays attention so it doesn't matter." He shrugged.

You unwrapped your food and continued eating. You tried numerous times to offer Ran some food, even just a small piece but he refused.

"You eat. I can always get food later." He smiled softly at you.

A pale blush crept onto your face when he smiled at you. You tried to calm down so he wouldn't notice so you changed the subject.

"Why were you by the school again?" You asked taking a bite of your food.

"Just p-"

"Passing by? Again?" You ask cutting him off smiling up at him.

"Yeah. I was heading home. What did you think I was stalking you or something?" He questioned.

You sat there for a minute thinking. Yeah, it probably was just a coincidence that he was passing by again.

"N-no. I was just curious, you were 'passing by'  in the morning and you're 'passing by' now. Just a little weird timing I guess." You said taking another small bite as he watched. "You sure you don't want some? I don't mind sharing." You said motioning to your food.

Ran huffed before nodding his head in acceptance to your offer.

"See, that wasn't so hard." You smiled triumphantly as he took a bite.

"Shut up."

     The both of you continued to talk until the bell rang signaling for you to go back to class. You said your goodbyes to Ran as he walked out of the school gates and you made your way back to class. The rest of the day was the same as the morning, boring. You reviewed more notes for an exam coming up, eyeing the clock every few minutes. Just like the morning you always tried to leave as quick as possible.

     You looked up to see that there was about two minutes left of class so you slowly packed away your things. As soon as the bell rang you were up and quickly making your way to the classroom door. You pushed by groups of people in the halls trying to get to the gates in a timely fashion. You made your way out of the school gates and briskly walked home. You calmed a little once you were far away enough from the school.

"Nope, you're a hundred percent stalking me, Ran." You said walking up to the man leaning against the park fence.

"Hey, I was just trying to make sure you were gonna get home okay." He defended.

You nodded before staring into the park at the swings.

"Let me guess, you don't wanna go home you wanna go on.." He trailed off following your eyesight. "... The swings?" He questioned.

"Yeah but you can leave. You don't have to babysit me." You said as you walked towards the swings.

     You sat down on one pulling a book out from your bag. You felt the sun begin to warm your body as you read your book. Your feet slowly swayed against the ground making the swing sway too. You enjoyed this time alone. No one bothering you,  or trying to talk to you, just simple peace and quiet.

You felt a pair of hands softly push you from behind.

"I won't be doing this all the time." You heard Ran say from behind.

"I never said you had to push me." You responded smiling back at him.

     He rolled his eyes and continued to softly push you on the swing. You had to admit that this was a nice feeling. Usually it was you being pushed off the swing, not being pushed on the swing. It was a nice change. You thought carefully about your next question, wondering if you really wanted to ask it.

"Go on, I won't bite. Ask your question." Ran stated as he continued to push you.

You sat for a moment before deciding to actually ask your question.

"Why are you so nice?" You slowly spoke.

"I'm not nice." He responded slowing you on the swing.

     You wanted to slap yourself across the face. You wanted to believe that someone in the world actually enjoyed being around you but, maybe you were wrong. You sat in silence on the swing not knowing what to say to him next. You hear a sigh escape Ran's lips before he walks in front of you.

"I can walk you home again. It's getting pretty late." Ran said looking at you.

"Oh no need. You probably have better things to do." You said picking up your bag and stuffing your book in it before starting your walk home alone.

Ran stood there for a minute watching you walk away. You were right, he did have things to do. Were they better things? No but he still watched you walk home, just from a distance incase something were to happen.