7~ Day of Black Sun: Part 2

Flaming rocks were being huddled at the Earth Kingdom tanks as (Y/n) took refuge behind one with Sokka, Toph, and a few other soldiers. They had gotten closer to the palace, and were now looking at the map laid out on the ground.

Hakoda, using his daughter as some support, limped towards them. Sokka leapt up.

"Dad! You're on your feet again."

"Thanks to your sister. I'm in no shape to fight, but maybe there's some way I can help." Hakoda said as Katara helped him sit on the ground.

Sokka kneeled down in front of his dad. "Everything's going smoothly and the eclipse hasn't even kicked in yet."

"Let's hope our luck holds out," Hakoda said. Katara walked away from the group a little bit. "Katara, you seem distracted. Is something wrong?"

"Yeah, is that...is that Aang?" Katara was looking up in the direction of the volcano, where someone on a glider was sailing towards them. It couldn't be anybody but Aang.

"What?" Sokka muttered.

Aang landed in front of the group, clicking his glider closed.

"Please tell me you're here because the Fire Lord turned out to be a big wimp and you didn't even need the eclipse to take him down." Sokka pleaded, half joking.

"He wasn't home," Aang said, looking to the ground. "No one was. The entire palace city is abandoned."

Sokka's eyes widened. "They knew."

"Dammit." (Y/n) said through her teeth. How unlucky did they have to be? How on earth did the Fire Nation know?

"It's over. The Fire Lord is probably long gone, far away on some remote island where he'll be safe during the eclipse." Aang explains.

"No, my instincts tell me he wouldn't go too far. He would have a secret bunker. Somewhere he could go and be safe during a siege but still be close enough to lead his nation." Sokka suggests.

"If it's an underground secret bunker we're looking for, i'm just the girl to find it." Toph smiles, pointing to herself.

The Mechanist gave Sokka a timing device, which told them that there were 10 minutes left until the eclipse was due to start. 10 minutes to find the Fire Lord, or 10 minutes to get everyone out safely.

Aang was the one to make the final call, and he decided that they needed to find the Fire Lord. So everyone but Katara hopped onto Appa, and went towards the palace city in the volcano.

Toph felt some tunnels and a hunk of metal deep in the volcano, so she made an opening for everyone to get inside. They left Appa and Momo outside, knowing Appa probably wouldn't fit in the tunnels.

"This way! That ones a dead end." Toph began to run down one of the tunnels.

"What would we do without you?" Sokka praised.

"Perish in burning hot magma." Toph said.

"Yeah, pretty much."

Toph lead them to the end of their path, and in front of them was a bed of half-cooled magma, with fresh stuff spouting up black, cooled rock. "The tunnel continues on the other side, and it leads right to the bunker."

"We'll have to be fast but careful—woah!" Sokka stepped onto the rock, but some lava spewed up from the ground.

Aang quickly cooled it to stop Sokka from getting himself burned alive. "How is that careful?"

"I was wrong. We need to be fast, careful, and lucky."

They all ran across the cooled magma, narrowly avoiding shoots of lava. They safely made it across, but made it to another dead end path.