6- (1) - Pre-Outing

What does it mean to be free?

A question that creates questions in-itself with its ambiguity and straight-forwardness, allowing for hundreds of discussions to be created from just its stem.

Things such as "what is the definition of free?", "what type of freedom are you talking about? Thought, expression, beliefs?", and most importantly, "what qualifies as being free?"

The qualifications of freedom are tough to think of for the radical sum, and so they alleviate it by saying that the qualifications of freedom are simple. 

Freedom to think for yourself, to expression your own emotions and thoughts without Big Brother watching you, and to believe in what you want to believe it.

But in my perception of such an individualized question, it's never that simple.

Those freedoms may exist within our societies such as Japan and America, quote "we hold these truths self-evident, ask men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

However, there will always be certain extents by which our freedoms are limited, and that is not just bound by the governing body that controls the state which the citizens thrive in.

Rather it is society bound as well.

Our freedom to express ourselves freely is undeniably locked by the addicting article known within the realm of our conscious as social media.

Social Media has created a "new-normal" for things, it has developed trends that are followed almost without thought.

And it also demonizes and judges others that don't follow these trends.

Following the crowd and trends has become a spell that my age-group has aimlessly been enchanted by.

And those who desire not to follow it and speak their own feelings, try to express themselves are shunned and belittled until they comply too.

In this way, our freedom to express ourselves is limited by the social-bindings we live in.

And that desire to fit in, that desire to be with a group you're accepted by is only human nature.

It applies to all humans, a desire for connection.

And arguably, if one were to isolate themselves from the world without connection with another human - they may go insane.

Even I, isolated from society and trapped in a white-prison where only the strongest and smartest survive, had some (though minimal) form of connection that built me into the creature that I am.

And if I were to be without connections, I doubt I would've stayed as sane as I did during those years.