The Phoenix

“Will that be all, sir?” Rachael Walker asked Mycroft Holmes, her current employer.

He looked up at her from his work. “Yes, thank you Miss Walker.”

Rachael nodded and left the room.

“Miss Walker,” the receptionist said, on the way out, “Mr Jones for you in the drawing room.”

She sighed and changed direction. Outside the room, she composed herself, patting down her clothes and checking her hair.

“Mr Jones,” she said with a smile as she entered the room. “What can we do for you?”

Mr Alexander Fredrick Jones, a popular lead scientist and biologist who was highly sought after and had worked for several large and influential companies throughout the world, glanced towards her. “Miss Walker. I am troubled by a recent email sent by your company.”

“And which email do you refer to?”

“The one, Miss Walker, which refers to your blatant refusal to sponsor my latest project.”

“We have judged that your latest ‘project’ as you term it, is of an overly exaggerated nature and not worth the time of the government.”

He scowled. “Not worth the time?!”

She nodded. “Opening a new avenue into that particular branch of science while the basics that surround it have not yet been cemented in fact would be a foolish endeavour to sponsor. Perhaps if you can validate the facts-”

“Which I need the money for!” Jones snapped at her.

She blinked calmly. “That is not my problem.”

Jones scowled at her. “I want to talk to your superior.”

Her brow furrowed. “Unfortunately, Mr Holmes is unable to take guests today. You can arrange an appointment, but I assure you, he will tell you the same thing I have. There is no basis, and we will not support you.”

He opened his mouth to complain, then his eyes narrowed. “Thank you for seeing me.”

She smiled again, professional once more. “You’re very welcome, Mr Jones. You know the way out.”

He nodded again and departed.

Rachael frowned and sighed, sitting down on the couch. She needed a holiday. Suddenly, her phone vibrated.

She sighed louder as she read it. Time to report in.