001 | cue "daddy issues" by the neighbourhood

i'm trying to get close to you

"NAOKI-SENSEIIII," whined an exuberant male with brown hair and a single bleached strand

"NAOKI-SENSEIIII," whined an exuberant male with brown hair and a single bleached strand. He stepped into the infirmary, arms stretched and eyes widening, reflecting a look Naoki had seen many, many times on the faces of his students. The male nurse didn't even bother looking back. He knew that voice like the back of his hand by nowin fact, he knew most of his students' voices. It was his job to look after the teenagers studying at Karasuno. What kind of nurse would he be if he couldn't remember their names or the way they talked, or the problems they have?

"Hello, Nishinoya-kun," he greeted cordially, eyes trained onto the papers on his desk.

Texts upon texts were sitting patiently for him to sign. Don't let anyone fool you; a nurse's job was not easy. You can't administer medicine and expect the kids to be okay. Such a thought process was ridiculous. A nurse's duty was to monitor the well-being of all students, not just one. And so, Naoki took the extra time to recall every little thing about every person that stepped into his infirmary.

"How can I help you today?"

"I'm sad," he pouted, plopping onto the bed.

"Your school counsellor is on the first floor. Take your mental issues up with Mai-san."

"But she's boring," Nishinoya replied. "And I prefer you. You're a better listener."

"Doesn't matter," countered Naoki, scribbling his signature at the bottom of the page. Now, bear in mind that he's a nurse; he lived up to its stereotype. His handwriting was absolutely shit. "I don't get paid enough to deal with teenage drama and heartache."

"But I'm not any teenager."

Nishinoya's eyes trailed around the room he had been in many times. The familiar posters sat on the wall, detailing images about the muscles in their bodies and posters about one's physical health and all the shit that came with maintaining its peak condition. 

"You are to me."

"Naoki-sensei!"

Naoki sighed. He put his pen down. "Fine, what's got you sad today?"

Nishinoya didn't answer.

Naoki stared at the second-year.

"Let me guess," he drawled, exasperated, "Azumane-kun hasn't joined the volleyball team yet, and you're getting bored waiting."

The teenager jutted his bottom lip out, his arms folded across his chest. Nishinoya turned his head to the side in a stubborn manner. He refused to let the male see his vulnerability whether he trusted him or not didn't matter. The springtime's light seeped into the infirmary, bedizening the room in a luminescent glow. Golden hues reached the two individuals, highlighting their prominent features and showering them with warmth.