Twelve

Elizabeth:

When I was around five, I found out I was shy and what that particular trait meant whenever I wanted to get closer to people. I always fought against that feature of mine in order to socialise, and mainly because Kate always seemed to sparkle more than me in pretty much everything. But not during the last day or so.

In a house that belonged to Harry Styles' family, I seemed to be the star, and not in a good way. Liam was there, with a bullet wound and much to my surprise Louis and Harry took care of it without effort. Those little things always made me wonder how much was hidden beneath those jade eyes and enticing smirk.

"I'm sorry Liz, I would have knocked but we have an emergency." Living in a house with five males and nothing to do besides reading or playing scrabble was driving me insane, even though it had only been two days. They were great, but privacy was not a word on their vocabulary.

"What's up with all the commotion downstairs?" I enquired Niall, wrapping a silk robe around my body and feeling my cheeks heating up from the embarrassment. Clearly I couldn't even change in peace.

"Your sister and your mum are here." His words made me forget the shyness, immediately wondering why would my mother risk so much by coming here. Kate was reckless and impulsive, but mum was the type of agent everyone wanted to be.

"Only them?" I asked him, sensing that something else was off. Niall looked at me with intense blue eyes, seconds ticking by before he said anything at all.

"Come see for yourself." He opened the door for me and I descended the stairs in a hurry, Niall following me closely.

The living room seemed even more crowded than usual, and once all eyes were on me I felt like passing out, anything really, as long as I didn't have to face so many people staring at me with curious eyes. Harry seemed unpleased with my outfit choice, although I enjoyed it in a way. We had barely talked after that stupid truth or dare game, and so far he avoided me with all his might.

"Sebastian?" I cut straight to the point, not quite understanding what he had to do with anything. Obviously he looked the same, although I felt like I hadn't seen him in years. There was a small smirk across his lips, although the action seemed less charming than usual. He was trying to be nice, although I knew something bad was about to surface.

"Hello Elizabeth." He spoke with a soft voice, and I enjoyed thoroughly the way Harry clenched his jaw once he thought no one was watching him.

"Mum, why are you all here? I thought the whole purpose of having a safe house was keeping a low profile." She look stoical and I knew that was Margaret Winters, previous MI6 agent and not the caring, loving mother of two girls.

"This is hardly a safe house Elizabeth. At least it stopped being the moment Liam got caught." The mention of my shot best friend stung, mainly because everyone knew who did it. Just the thought of Benjamin holding a gun and harming a person I loved made me shudder.

"I don't think I'm following." I said, cautiously scanning the room. Only Harry was left and I focused on him for a brief moment, silently asking for some support. Despite our non speaking terms, he made his way towards me and placed an arm around my waist, dragging me to the couch.

Kate dropped her left eye in a wink and disappeared, leaving only mum and Sebastian behind. They sat down too, and finally my mother started to explain.

"I am sure you have been informed about what happened at the office. Benjamin made a remarkable job cleaning up the whole place, but he only missed one little thing. Sebastian witnessed everything." The information was new to me, apparently to Harry too because he gripped my waist a little tighter, an action that didn't went by my mother unnoticed. Her lips pressed in a thin line, a clear sign of disapproval, although usually those expressions were always aimed at Kate and not me.