70: Name Your Price

Start from the beginning

*

I had arrived at Ziora's hotel at a little past seven in the evening when I saw my brother from the corner of my left eye. I got out of my car and called out to him but he didn't seem to hear me. I scoffed and proceeded towards the hotel but then, I spotted a certain ginger that I had hoped to never see again. I thought of avoiding her at first but I didn't even need to. Candice had passed by me, too focused on something behind me to even notice my presence.

My eyes began to follow her as I wondered what she was doing here and if she was perhaps skimming against my friends and I, like Ruby had done. I realized soon enough that she had been following after my brother and alarm bells went off in my head.

"What is she doing?" I mumbled to myself as I watched her walk into the restaurant right next to the hotel. Benjamin had walked in just a few moments ago. "Ah, heck no!"

I followed after Candice, hoping to unearth what ever scheme she was plotting. What did she even think she could do to Benjamin? Why was she going after him?

I spotted Candice heading up the stairs at the far end of the restaurant as soon as I walked in and I tailed behind her, trying my best not to be discovered.

The stairs led to a rooftop bar and it was dimly lit, so, I could barely see who was who. There was music playing in the background and the sound of people talking and laughing filled the night air. I tried to spot Candice or my brother but I couldn't see either of them. I was so sure I had seen Candice come up here. This was the only place the stairs led up to. There was no way she could have vanished into thin air.

I walked further into the bar, scanning every table thoroughly so I didn't miss them by any chance. I had just gone by the fourth table when I heard a loud voice. It was an unmistakable voice and I instantly knew there was trouble if she was here.

I turned in the direction of the voice and I spotted a man and woman at the far end of the bar, right at the edge of the roof. The lighting at that end was non existent as it seemed to be a discarded part of the bar decorated with a few flower vases.

I walked closer to them and the voices got louder.

"You've taken things way too far, Ruby! I won't let you get away with what you've done!" I heard my brother yell.

"Why do you look so angry? Is it because I messed with Naborhi?" I heard Ruby say and I paused. What was she talking about? Why was she mentioning Naborhi to my brother?

"This is not about Anaborhi! You have crossed the line for the last time and I'm not going to take it laying down this time around!"

"Does Tiara know? She doesn't, does she?" Ruby began to laugh and I glanced at Benjamin who said nothing further. I couldn't see the expression on his face but I could tell that his body had become stiff.

It was clear as day now that Benjamin was hiding something from me and I was curious to know what it was, however, if he had a secret that he didn't want me to know, I wasn't going to force him to and I sure wasn't going to let Ruby expose it to the world like she had done with Naborhi and I. I had to put a stop to her once and for all.

"Ruby!" I called as I stormed over to her.

"T-Tiara, what are you doing here?" Benjamin said in surprise but I ignored him, focusing all my attention on my cousin.

"Enough is enough, Ruby." I said firmly, placing my hands on my hips. "What do you want from me? What would it take to make you get out of our lives for good? Is it money you want? We can give you that. Name your price."

"What?" Ruby laughed, dramatically throwing her head backwards. "Do you think I'm doing all this for money? I'm above such cheap antics." She raised her chin proudly.