4. Farmhouse

The full moon was high in the sky as it just had passed midnight.

Rebekah laid in her sleeping bag in the middle of Kili and Bofur. She was awoken by all the loud snoring, Bofur was the loudest of them all. She had tried to fall back asleep but it was nearly impossible to escape the sound of their heavy breaths.

She couldn't take it anymore so she slowly got up and walked over to the cliff side to try to clear her mind, she sat down and allowed her legs to dangle down the edge of the cliff and looked over at the forest below.

Her mind traveled back home. She imagined all the plants and flowers surrounding Rivendell and all the happy memories she had there but her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of steps walking closer towards her. She turned her head back and her eyes was met with his icy blue ones. It was Thorin. He sat down next to her and looked down at the dark forest below.

"You couldn't sleep either?" Rebekah said with a light chuckle and looked at Thorin.

"You'll get used to them" he answered with a reassuring voice. Rebekah didn't answer, she turned her head away from him and looked up at the stars. She put her hands in her lap and started rolling her thumbs.

"What are you thinking about?" Thorin suddenly asked and softly placed his left hand on hers. Rebekah quickly turned her head towards his. She was slightly surprised by Thorin's concerned look. From the first time they met he had been cold, emotionless almost but now it had quickly turned to him being warm and caring.

Rebekah shook her head and cleared her throat.

"I was just thinking about Rivendell, I miss it" she said with a light sigh and looked out on the forest.

"Do you live there?" He asked.

"I do" she nodded. "I am captain of the guard and I train the worriers" Rebekah said looking down at her feet.

"Understandable considering how good of a fighter you are" Thorin said calmly with a light smile glancing over at Rebekah. She turned to face him and their eyes locked. When she looked into his icy blue eyes it felt like time had stopped. She was almost hypnotized in the different shades of blue.

"I have been wanting to apologize about earlier" Thorin suddenly said. Rebekah furrowed her brows, wondering what he was referring to.

"I should have helped Bilbo" Thorin sighed.

"It's like I said" Rebekah answered and looked out at the forest. "It's done".

"You have a kind heart Rebekah, I admire it" Thorin admitted and caused Rebekah's cheeks to heat up as she blushed.

"So what are your plans when we retake the mountain" Rebekah asked.

"I don't plan that far ahead" Thorin answered. "My only priority is to reclaim Erebor, everything after that can wait"

"Try to get some rest, you need it" Thorin said as he stood back up and walked to his spot in the camp.

"I'll try" Rebekah said as her eyes followed him. She then turned her head back around to look at the peaceful and quiet night before she walked back to her sleeping bag between Kili and Bofur.

-

The next morning Bombur made everybody breakfast. It was the same as lunch and dinner yesterday. The thick and steamy meat stew. Even if it tasted really good Rebekah quickly grew tired of the taste and craved anything but the stew.

During this short time Rebekah had been with the company she had become really good friends with everyone, even Dwalin. They all were curios about her and asked her about her earlier adventures.