25- The Prow

Bzzt, bzzt. I pull my phone out of my pocket and check the screen. 

        "Who is it?" Luca ask, still scanning our surroundings. 

        "Brevity," I slip the phone back in my pocket, not bothering to look at it. Where could he be? 

        "What did she want?"

        "Didn't look." We jog to the end of the block, stopping to check either side.

       "What if she said something about Sebastian?" He looks at me. "What if he went back or something?" 

        I look back. Didn't think of that. I take the phone back out of my pocket and open the text.

<(GET 2 THE DOCKS 911 HURRY @ MANDYS DADS BOAT ASAP!!!)

        I tilt the phone screen, and show Luca. "You think it's him?"

        He shrugs. "Maybe."

        In fifteen minutes, we reach the end of the dock were Mandy's dad's boat bobs in the water.

        We look back and forth, searching for figures.

        "Brev?" I arch my back, looking at the boat. I exchange glances with Luca.

        "Maybe they're in the cabin?"

        I crouch down and pull on the rope, nudging the boat toward the deck. It bumps the edge.

        Luca hops in, causing the boat to jostle. He offers his hand and helps me get in. I take a second to get my balance, then follow Luca toward the prow.

        Sixty yards away, a boat is speeding towards.

"Quick! Get on!" Brevity's dad yells to us, swerving his boat to the side, waves pulsing around it.

I didn't give it much of a second thought. I brace myself and hop onto their boat, Luca coming along with me. The engine revvs, boat jerks back out to sea. My arms shoot out to keep balance.

"What's wrong?" Luca shouts over the sound of the boat. "Is Brevity okay?" Brevity's uncle stands by the steering wheel uneasily. I've only met him once before.

Neither of them answers.

I turn to Luca. His hands are wrapped so tightly around the side rail that I'm surprised he isn't bending it. "What do you think happened? You think something happened?"

He looks back, his voice lower. "Mandy's boat is still there." He looks back at me. "How would she or Brev get out here if they didn't have a boat."

I look back at Brevity's uncle, just standing there, looking at us. My long hair continuously slaps me in the face, making it difficult to see. I reach a hand up and funnel my hair through my fist. Better, but not perfect.

This boat scares me. The sight of it is giving me flashbacks of when they captured Sebastian.

I turn to Luca. His sandy hair is whipping all around his face. "He saw us with Sebastian," I hiss.

As I say it, my heart tightens in my chest.

We're in trouble.

Finally, the boat slows to a halt and the wind ceases. I look behind us. I could conceal the island with my finger held out sideways.

I look down at the ocean warily, heart hammering at my ribs. I can tell Luca feels it too... he more so than me. He's not exactly fond of large bodies of water. Actually... he's deathly afraid.

The engine is cut off. I look up. Mr. Kriss turns and steps forward. For a moment, we say nothing. We just look at one another.

Kriss takes another step forward. "Let's not beat around the bush. I know you're 'cousin' is a mermaid."

Merman, dude, get it right.

Now's not the time for internal jokes, Julie!

We don't answer, but exchange glances. Should we admit it? He knows, why deny it. But... should we admit it? It's a little late for the whole "laugh and say you're crazy" thing. Neither of us laughed.

"He was in a car crash," Luca says. He's pale, a thin sheen of sweat blanketing his skin. "He's not in a wheelchair because he's a mermaid." His blank expression wasn't the most convincing, but I don't think I could've done much better right now.

Kriss purses his lips and nods. He pushes his sleeve up and folds it, showing the stained gauze wrapped around his forearm. He loosens the knot and unravels the bandages, walking forward. The skin around the mirroring bite marks is puckered and red.

He's standing right in front of us, forearm held diagonally before his chest, displaying the wound, "Now, I don't know how you got him to cooperate, but he wasn't exactly friendly when we first met him. He's dangerous. I just want to know where he is."

"We don't know," Luca answers again.

Kriss steps closer. "I have a hard time believing that."

"He's not lying," I speak up.

"How 'bout a thousand dollars? Each. Just tell me where he is. Don't worry, I'm not out for revenge or anything... we just want to study him."

"Two thousand dollars is nothing compared to what someone else will give you for him," Luca retorts. "You're going to sell him to someone who will turn him into an exhibit, or maybe you'll do that yourself. Either way, he'll be in a tank for the rest of his life, and you'll be making enormous amounts money."

I look at Luca, touched and impressed by his being able to stand up to the one who controls the only floating contraption for miles. I didn't know he cared.

Kriss glares at him for a few seconds. "Okay."

Luca and I look at each other. Okay? Like... we're done here...?

Just then, Kriss rushes forward and shoves Luca.

"NO!" I scream, my hands jumping out before me. He can't swim. Not even a little. And I know that sounds weird for someone who grew up on an island, but he has good reason. In fact... I should probably be terrified too. It was the same storm that killed my parents. He was there. He was on the boat. My dad was best friends with his uncle. The storm hit, and Luca was the only one wearing a life jacket. He floated alone for two days until they found him. He was only nine years old.

Kriss's fist tightens around a wad of Luca's shirt, the only thing from stopping him going over. Oh, God, his shirt's gona rip. It's gona rip, and he's gona fall in and panic and drown and... and... I can't lose him. We're best friends. I've known him forever. I love him.

"Mick, what are you doing?!" Brevity's uncle starts, stepping forward in shock.

"Pull him back up!" I screech. "He can't swim!"

I stand there, eyes locked onto the fist holding onto the stretched shirt. I've never felt more helpless in my life. If he goes in, I'll jump in after him... I just don't know if I can support him for too long. Or at all.

"Not until someone gives me some answers!" Kriss shouts anticly. "Where is he?!"

"We told you, we don't know!" I scream. "He ran away!"

He turns his head to look at me, eyes mad. His nostril twitches. "I'm not bluffing."

A tear rolls down my cheek. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Should I lie?

"I don't know," I utter.

Luca's heels disappear over the side of the boat.

Splash!