Chapter 6

Cobalt, Pear, and opal flew, sometimes resting on Kestrel's shoulder, sometimes dancing upon the wind. At first, they kept turning back to Volyia, and Kestrel would call them back. After a while, they figured out that they weren't going back, but occasionally one would chitter and hoot as it hovered in place, facing the ruins. Then Kestrel would call them and talk to them as we continued walking.
"How often do you leave the town?"
"Not often, and I don't usually take my kits, especially if I'm going relatively far away. I've packed up all my things, so they know something is different. It's strange, because they were my only company for so long, and now I have you as well, and I'm joining your quest so if I return it will be months from now."
"Do you plan to?"
"I don't know. What about you, will you return to Orsilnon?"
"Probably not. If I do, it'll be because of Saryar." Ifs and plans, all of which come after the quest. You can't tell the future, winds may change or rearrange.

Ris unpacked the vegetables from her pack to make a stew. Her dagger lay beside her, since it had been in the way and she'd had to take it out.
"This is pretty," Kestrel picked it up, then dropped it with a yelp. "It's iron."
"Yes, of course it is. Are you ok?"
"I'll be alright," she said calmly, slowly pouring water from her waterskin over her hand. Once it was empty, she commanded the water to float in a bubble around the burnt area.
"I haven't done that in a while, I know what's safe in Volyia."
"Isn't silver shinier though?" Ris asked, taking over making the stew.
"I don't know, maybe. I shall keep that in mind." Kestrel sighed.

"How did you get to Voylia?"
"My mother, Fautanas, brought me. She wanted me to see other countries and experience their cultures, perhaps even choose a place to live other than Tasyënlor or Faetarnikr. She didn't like that so many Fay never really venture past the borders and that the majority of those how do are Unseelie. We came to Rithesanlyr last, and while we were on our way to Windwall she fell sick to we had to stay in Volyia. She got worse and worse, so sick she couldn't tell me what herbs to find. It was Sorletuh. I stayed in Volyia," explained Kestrel. Sorletuh was the sixth month, the last month of summer. There was an awkward silence.
"I'm sorry about your mother." It was a while before she asked Kestrel about her father. Apparently he'd been so engrossed in his work before Fautanas and Kestrel left that she barely knew him.

Wind tore at the earth and sky as the sun settled in the west. It was a dark night, and clouds waited for dawn. The stars speckled the sky, their faint glow lighting the universe out there but too far away to illuminate the world or give any warmth. Ris was asleep, but Kestrel wasn't quite yet. I talked to her for a bit until she fell asleep, and eventually the wind died down.
"By Jornin, give her light," I murmured. The rest of the night was still and silent. I had no particular need or reason to keep watch anymore, but by this point it was part of the routine. Besides, I liked being my own person, it was nice to not be told that I got in the way when I wasn't attached.

Mist hung over the hills like banners fluttering in a mistral. The sun sat glowing in the sapphire sky just as lanterns hang from lampposts. There was a crow gliding between the earth and sky, landing and strutting about before taking off again, far enough away that Ris didn't notice it. I went dormant for most of that day, so I wasn't paying much attention to Kestrel or Ris -- or anything else, but the crow was interesting. By nightfall, the sky was grey, providing a beautiful backdrop for the sunset but no light after twilight.

"I want to explore," I muttered to myself, looking out over the bramble- and heather-spotted landscape. "Although, it is enough to walk on towards Eltrin with Ris and our new friend, Kestrel. By Jornin, give us warm hearts to any fellows in our questing. Kestrel the Seelie Fay, such a strange friend, but then, we're strange ourselves. Odd to have a good friend after the coldness of those in Orsilnon, but then, we had Saryar and Rumour. Kestrel is nice but somewhat stiff and formal sometimes, but I think Fay are like that. She knows some of our customs too, aye, and her magic is pretty cool. I wonder what the people at Kenshalty Abbey are like, and who will come with us." I talked to the clouds and the empty night, looking forwards to the coming day with all its new chances.

The kits, still a little unsure of the world outside Volyia, hooted and chirruped.
"What's up?" Kestrel asked.
"Hello!" croaked a strange voice. It was the crow I'd noticed yesterday, landing in front of us.
"Hi," we replied unevenly in unison, hesitant and confused.
"Saw you yesterday, thought bizarre. Crow called Ink, want to join," Ink looked up at us with one eye. Ris found it quite amusing that she had crow magic and was being befriended by a crow.
"Why?" Kestrel punctuated the question with a note of dubiousness. I started laughing suddenly, because Kestrel's name was that of a bird's, Ris had crow magic, and here we were talking to a talking crow named Ink.
"How can you talk?" I asked.
"Ink learnt. Want to join you because you're peculiar -- peh-kyoo-lee-ar," Ink hopped to one side, "bird like that word. You're peculiar; a Fay, a girl, and three kits. What're you doing?"
"We're on a quest to save the Cursed and Enchanted, and to save the wyvern-star king," Ris answered.
"Wyvern-star king, that Ink can help with. Knew an Enchanted, their wyvern-star counsellor to king. Ink know a few words, and if crow teach you, girl can speak nagic. But crow don't recognise which words, so we need find Enchanted to teach again. Ink join you."
"Ok. That's actually a good idea. I'm Ris."
"I'm Kestrel. The kits are Opal, Cobalt, and Pear, according to their colours."
"So, two more to find. One's at Kenshalty Abbey, and from there we can plan some more," grinned Ris.

Ris hummed to herself, a beam upon her lips. Her magic declared that the world was wonderful and her new friends were equally amazing. Friends. How marvellous to have some other than Saryar and Rumour. It was a little surprising to realise that they were our friends, even after such a short time together, and all the more special because of our lack in Orsilnon. I don't think Ris stopped smiling for the rest of the day. The sky became clearer come nightfall too, so everyone marvelled at the stars before slowly falling asleep. I watched over them without need, for the night was silent and peaceful. I watched those specks cross the sky until vesper and then morning arrived.