We're Jinxed - Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

Piltover. This girl's topside— clear as day.

"Nice to meet you, Cat," Natalia yawned as she kicked her shoes off, settling down on the chaise once more. "Have a seat. My room is occupied at the moment, so I do hope here is fine."

Cat nodded, looking around with a guarded expression at the drapery, the lighting, the bubbles in the air floating over from other rooms.

"I'm guessing it's your first time in here?"

Cat cautiously sat, clearly untrusting of the girl before her as she noticed the prying eyes being sent her way. "Sort of," she said warily. "I don't come to this... specific brothel often."

Natalia smiled, inching closer to Cat. "Well, Cat, welcome. Usually you need a mask in here, but I won't tell."

Cat swallowed thickly, obviously willing herself to relax as she took a deep breath and quirked a smile. She leaned back, resting an elbow against the back of the couch and her forehead against her hand.

Natalia's eyes studied the girl up and down— analyzing her— which was slow enough to be caught by the woman in front of her. However, what Cat thought was attraction, was, in fact, Natalia searching for any weaknesses.

After awhile of generous small talk, Natalia casually prying at Cat's psyche with roundabout questions as she often did when trying to coax the information out of someone, Cat had grown quiet as she appeared to be thinking.

It hardly worked though, which was beginning to frustrate Natalia as she kept zoning off, attempting to figure out how she could get what she needed.

"What do you do when you're not working?" Cat suddenly asked, her attitude suddenly changing to one of outside ease as she turned her full attention to Natalia. "Surely you've got a life outside of the hustle."

Natalia blinked rapidly out of her state of focus, caught off guard. Not only did clients rarely ever ask about a worker's life, but the blue-haired girl's sudden behavioral change made Natalia suspicious.

"T-the... the gardens. I try to find a way up to them a lot," Natalia admitted softy, glancing away in her small moment of shock, which was immediately caught by Cat. "I... I've dreamt of seeing the gardens in Piltover since I was little. But, well... this is all I've seen."

Cat smiled genuinely, a surprisingly confident smile that made Natalia look away with her cheeks coloring slightly.

However, as Cat opened her mouth to say something more, Natalia's pager went off— the small devices Jinx had designed to signal when someone was in deep shit and in need of a hand.

Natalia opened it immediately, seeing Sevika's location nearby. It seemed the signal had only been sent out to Natalia, for some odd reason, but she figured it to be merely due to her proximity to Sevika.

Fuck. Really, Sevika?

Cat quirked a brow, the curious yet distant expression back. Natalia looked up, sending her a placating smile, regretting not being able to get what she needed from her.

"My apologies," Natalia said, standing and taking Cat's lithe hands between her own. "I've been called back to my other clients. I truly hope you'll come back and see me another time."

Cat nodded, the two saying their curt goodbyes as Natalia quickly pecked the girl on the cheek before slipping her shoes on and immediately running to find Sevika.

Her location was... somewhere around the brothel? Outside? What did she get herself into? Another skirmish over who gets the last bottle of beer?

But when she came upon the scene— the wall of the gambling room blown open, Sevika passed out on the ground outside, while a woman with a shaved, half-cut of red hair stood heaving above her— she immediately was on guard.