The Dream

He dreamt that he was in a faded realm, water everywhere with a small island in the middle, a singular tree growing on it.

"You're not a hero."

There it was again.

That voice.

Link turned around to see what appeared to be a dark version of himself.

"Who are you?" Link asked his dark self.

"I'm you. I'm your shadow, your darkest desires. I know that you don't want to be a knight. I know you wish you weren't a hero." Dark Link said.

Link stumbled a bit.

"No. I refuse to believe you." Link said.

"But you know it's true." Dark Link responded, circling around Link. "You just want to live a normal life with the princess. Without having to deal with all the pressures put upon you two. You want her to be a simple Hylian girl, living with you on your old farm."

"Well- yes..." Link responded hesitantly.

"You see? You admitted it. I really am who I claim to be." Dark Link replied, disappearing for a moment and appearing once more in front of Link.

"Stop. You're playing mind tricks on me." Link said,

"Oh, am I? Aren't I telling the truth? Do you need more persuasion?" Dark Link said.

Link attempted to respond, but the shadow resumed talking again immediately. "You only think of Mipha as a friend. You sometimes actually LIKE Revali. Urbosa is the most intimidating person you know. Daruk is one of the best friends you'll ever have."

"Just STOP!" Link yelled, covering his ears, looking away...

He woke up and let out a bloodcurdling scream.

Zelda heard him and woke up.

"Link... what happened? Did something ha- happen?" She said, yawning.

"N-no... go back to sleep..." Link said. It was 2:00 AM.

"Oh- okay..." Zelda said.

Link sat on his bed, hugging his knees.

He stayed awake the entire night, reading a book he found on a shelf.

It was about Rito achievements...

Namely the Rito Champion...

Zelda woke up at around 6:00 AM.

"Link... Have you been awake all night?" She asked, noticing the shadows under his eyes, and how messy his hair and clothes were.

"Y- yes..." He said, sickly.

"Link, you can't do this to yourself. We gotta get you home. C'mon!" She said, worryingly.

"No... I- I'm fine..." He said.

His face was pale, there was snot coming from his nose, his eyes were red... Zelda hated to see him this way.

"You're obviously not. I'm bringing you back right now. Close your eyes, get some sleep, I'll teleport us back." Zelda said sternly.

"Alright..." Link said.

He didn't WANT to go to sleep.

He didn't want to meet again with his shadowy ego.

He tried to stay awake, and he thought that he did, but when he opened his eyes, he was laying in bed in his home in Hateno.