chapter 55: past

"So what's with you and Luciano?" Hazel sits on Alice's couch eating another spoonful of ice cream "he was being a dick, and i won't put up with it" i shrug "you got into a fight?" Alice walks over with her ice cream.

"yea i guess" i take another sip of the silky red wine "what did he say?" Alice sits on the black couch "what did you say?" Hazel tilts her head.

i lean into the corner of the couch a bit more "he said that just because i have mommy issues doesnt mean i have to help everyone" i take a larger sip as hazel's expression drops "your kidding" i shrug "wish i was" i set my glass down.

"That's awful, want me to kill him?" Alice laughs a bit "there's no need for that" i fold my arms "i'm gonna kill him,i don't need your permission niki" hazel holds her hands up.

"what did you say back?" Alice tilts her head. "that his mother would be disappointed in him and that he should have a fun relapse" I fold my arms and both their eyes widen.

"niki" i shrug "what. i don't regret a thing" you do a little bit. "i refuse to be disrespected,i don't care how much i-" i take a deep breath as anger flares in my body.

"I don't care how important he is to me,I'm not going to be stepped all over by a man" I pick up my glass of wine and take another large sip. "i'm going to need more of this" i hold up my almost empty glass.

...

Hazel Alice and I lay face up in Alice's bed. We all decided that we should try to get some rest but by the feel of the room we're all more than awake.

"i killed my step father" alice's voice breaks the silence "what?'' Hazel turns her head in the darkness "he killed my mother so i slit his throat open and it was marked off as an accident because I was a 16 year old girl who lost her mother and stepfather in the span of a month " she let out a breath of relief.

"shit" i laugh a little and so does alice "do you regret it?" I turn my head to her "no. Not one bit" I nod "how did your mom die?" I turn over on my side leaning on Alice's shoulder.

"my step dad. um- he shot her. in front of me" hazel flips so she's closer to alice "i'm so sorry,no one should see that" hazel moves her leg onto alice and i follow "i can't imagine seeing something like that" we both squeeze her gently

"i'm in therapy for it, but a lot of professionals have said that this isn't something you exactly heal from" I place an arm over her. "How could he get away with that" i tilt my head to look at her.

"she was admitted into a mental hospital when she was fifteen, that was enough to convince the shitty racist officers" her voice cracks and Alice starts to cry. Hazel and I both hold onto her tight as she lets the emotions go.

I don't know how long she cried but hazel and i never let go or lost our grip. Alice is talking through the sobs but I can't make out a single word.

Eventually she calms down and we all sit up "sorry about that" she wipes her tears in the dark "don't be" i rub her back a bit "thank you guys" i lean over and turn the lamp on.

Alice takes a deep breath. "I needed that" she nods "I guess that's my sob story" she lets her hands down in the puffy comforter.

"at least you guys know" i laugh a bit "does stefano know?" Hazel tilts her head "yes, he's been really good with it. he's the only man i've been with that truly makes me feel happy" she smiles.

"that is the most surprising thing i've ever heard" alice laughs "you make my brother happy, you should see the way he smiles when he talks about you" i smile at her

"Have you guys said I love you yet?" Hazel wiggles her brows. Alice shakes her head "no, he just has other ways of showing it" she shrugs "how come?" I lean on my hand.