34: Winter and Summer

The spring was glowing brighter as a glowering sun declared the dawn of summer. A gentle summer breeze drifted through the treetops, tousled the light leaves, wrapped around Lan Wangji's feet, fiddled with his billowing and dancing robes before zooming past his silky hair. Somewhere in that breeze lingered a long-lost melody...

A melody played far away, quite a while ago, but not lost altogether. A single note held onto the draught, whistling past Lan Wangji's ear, greeting him with the familiar feel of Chenqing's beautiful music.

Wei Wuxian's spiritual flute. He wasn't too far away.

Not like I can go find him anyway, Lan Zhan sighed. A-Ying... please be alright, he prayed, walking closer to the gates.

"Hanguang-Jun," the guards bowed.

"Mn," he nodded.

Once the guards rose their heads, they looked at each other anxiously. Anxious, reluctant...

"You don't have to force me, I'm not going anywhere," Lan Wangji nodded again, understanding as always.

"Thank you, Hanguang-Jun."

"Hanguang-Jun, is there anything...?"

Lan Wangji nodded. He looked over there shoulders into the distant hills. "Did... he say anything when leaving?"

"No– er... actually..."

"Wei Gongzi asked us to... inform him if..." both guards pursed their lips, unsure if Wei Gongzi would have minded them telling this or not.

"Inform him if Jin Gongzi comes to Cloud Recesses?" Lan Zhan asked, still staring at the hills.

The guards nodded relievedly.

One spoke up, "That, and also if Hanguang-Jun goes anywhere."

Lan Zhan blinked once. Me? Why me? "Mn," he nodded and walked back to the Jingshi.

Inform him, how? The specific Lan method? Meaning I can send him messages by the Lan butterfly and he'll read?

...he probably misunderstood what I said, he wouldn't want to talk to me...

Plopping down on his seat, he pinched his forehead. What have I done...?

No, he'll understand.

'And also if Hanguang-Jun goes anywhere'...

Still worried about me? Then maybe he did understand. Lan Zhan patted his chest. Calm down, Lan Wangji, A-Ying's too smart to take your words wrongly.

"BABA!"

"Sizhui," Lan Zhan turned around on his seat and opened his arms wide. Weilan Yuan ran into his arms and hugged him tight, squealing happily about how he had won a race against Lan Jingyi.

"Mn........ Mn........ Good."

"Baba, on the way here I met Shushu, and he told me to pass you a message..."

"Mn, speak."

"He told you to get two suits ready...? He said you already have one, but you need to find one for me and send both our suits to be laundered a bit. Why, Baba? What are 'suits'? Fancy costumes?" His eyes were aglow with wonder and excitement.

Lan Zhan smiled. "Not really. Just a more formal dress worn for parties."

"Fancier?"

"...sort of."

"We're going to a PARTY!" Weilan Yuan hopped on his father's lap. "Who's? Where? When, why, how?"

"Jiang Guniang's. Lotus Pier, Yunmeng. In two days, for her birthday, by boat."