15: Play-Acting

The wedding day of the eldest children of the LanlingJin sect and the YunmengJiang sect arrived, both dressed in unparalleled glamour. Jin Zixuan in sparkling gold more than the red and Jiang Yanli beating even the Jin groom in gold jewellery: but also retaining her delicate taste of fashion with chiffon red robes instead of the sticky silk.

Wei Wuxian, Nie Huaisang and Jiang Cheng had teased the hell out of Jin Zixuan at the dressing room, taunting him about wedding night rituals. Right now, watching him go through the other rituals, all three could see the red blush on his cheeks still there after their mocking from earlier. Sure the wedding rituals were being completed successfully — but that also meant the wedding night rituals were approaching fast.

"Hahahaha, ever seen a red peacock, Jiang-xiong?"

"Honestly, he's redder than the freaking robes!"

"Of course he'd be! Nie-xiong, I'm amazed you weren't bold enough to show him one of your books!"

"Who said I didn't try, Wei-xiong? Fellow wouldn't let me!"

"Utter shame, utter shame," the brothers shook their heads.

Jin Qingyang and Wen Qing had helped Madam Yu and Madam Jin dress Jiang Yanli up and were now proudly standing across from the giggling boys, smirking sourly at them while proudly beaming at their sister-like friend.

"Yanli-jie looks fabulous!"

"She does, Mianmian. Why do I have the feeling that those three are up to no good?"

"They're never up to any good."

"But come on, I thought Wei Wuxian would become more..."

"Decent? After marriage? If anything, he'll turn worse!"

"True, Lan Wangji, you're spoiling him," Wen Qing wagged her finger in Lan Zhan's face.

Lan Wangji, seated next to her, beside the equally silent Wen Ning, simply shrugged.

"Da-Ge, how's A-Sang's cultivation going?"

"I dare say he's improved with his core but I really am starting to doubt he'll improve with the sabre, Xichen."

"Da-Ge... maybe you should let him cultivate the fan?"

"He's not a maiden to fight with a FAN!" Nie Mingjue goggled at him.

"Da-Ge," Lan Xichen sighed. "It's completely fine for a man to use the fan. Sect Leader Jin uses the fan–"

"And I don't want my A-Sang ending up like that bastard," Nie Mingjue grumbled in a low voice. Lan Xichen hid his grin behind his broad sleeve.

"Da-Ge, I was wondering... where's A-Yao?"

"Who? Ah, Yao. Yao's at home, training the disciples. Why?"

"Oh, nothing, didn't meet him in a long time. Shall I come over tomorrow? Not much work to do..."

"What a wonderfully free Chief Cultivator. I, a mere sect leader, have more work than you seem to have."

"Da-Ge, don't tease me," Lan Xichen smiled.

"Fine, come whenever you want. A-Sang will appreciate having a friend for tea."

"Hey, Wei-xiong."

"What?"

"Is everything in check?"