4: Hypnotic Trance

There was something about Lan Wangji tonight... that seemed... strange...

The usual icy aura's gone. Less stiff face, there's something in the face... is that... a... smile?

An extremely slight twitch of the tips of those full and rosy lips that almost invisibly stretched them upwards to the sparkling moon. A smile. Lan Wangji, Hanguang-Jun, the cold and stoic and thick-faced Lan that Wei Wuxian detested... was smiling.

Why... Wei Wuxian wondered, is his smile making me want to... er... erm... k– k–ki.............

WHAT THE HELL?

It's a trick. All a trick. This grumpy Lan is manipulating my mind, hmph!

"Lan Zhan, ah, Lan Zhan, need a cloth to wipe that smile off your face? Smugness, is it? So sure you'll win?" Wei Wuxian unsheathed Suibian with sweating hands. What the goddamned hell was wrong with him today?

"Mn," Lan Zhan nodded determinedly.

"We'll see about that. Hey, where's your brother?"

"Xiongzhang's asleep."

"Ah? Not like him to leave you to wander around alone, eh? Isn't he usually protective?"

He is, but even I don't get why he completely entrusted me to you, Lan Zhan sighed.

"Might I add one thing? This isn't Cloud Recesses..."

"What's the difference?"

"When in Cloud Recesses, I'm a student. Just like you. You and I may have equal then. But it's not the same now. Here in Lotus Pier, I'm a Jiang servant. So... I'd appreciate it if we don't break anything..."

Lan Wangji's eyes swelled ever-so slightly. Would he get beaten by Madam Yu just for that? The grip on Bichen tightened. "Mn, we'll take care not to."

"Thank you, Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian bowed. "For understanding. Also... on second thought... isn't it not nice for Lan Er-Gongzi to be fighting with..." he looked down at his feet. Sure, he had been all cocky in Cloud Recesses but he alone knew the wrath he had to face should anything go wrong here.

Lan Wangji clenched his sword even tighter, to the point the sheath was ready to shatter. "Wei Ying is not a servant. Like you said. You and I are equals. Nobody will dare say a word."

"Oh right, Chief Cultivator's brother, who'll speak against you, eh?" Wei Wuxian smiled, his undauntedness returning to his composure. "Well then!" He swung Suibian in one hand. "Bring it on, Lan Er-Gege!"

Lan Wangji growled. A low and deep growl. Out shot Bichen and clang! Metal clashed against metal, cool pale blue glow intertwining with the gentler white glow, dancing around the clashing swords, interlacing, mingling, mixing, blending into each other. For a bare second, both cultivators stared at the way the colours mixed so well together, until both blushed furiously.

What the hell is wrong with my sword? Suibian, stop it! Wei Wuxian screamed in his head and raised his sword in anger, bringing it down like he was Nie Mingjue chopping with Baxia.

Lan Wangji rolled away just in time and parried with a swing of his ow sword, ears red-hot. Spiritual energy mingling like that was... a beautiful sight. But weird... He spun around Wei Wuxian and attacked from behind. A somersault and a jump let Wei Wuxian land ten feet away from the incoming sword.

Panting, Wei Wuxian grinned. "For the sake of old times, my nemesis!" He laughed and leapt up onto a roof.

Lan Wangji sighed. And if we break the roof tiles? Who's going to get beaten? Does this guy not even remember what he said minutes ago?