29: Three Years Ago

Pulled by the wrist, Jiang Cheng found himself falling backwards onto the table — a single hand on his back lifted him just inches away from crashing the tea table.

"Careful," Lan Xichen muttered.

Jiang Wanyin gulped and stood. Realising Xichen's grip on his wrist, he wriggled his hand. "Chief Cultivator," he nodded to his hand.

"Ah, that," Lan Xichen gripped it tighter, standing firm and unwavering before Jiang Cheng. "You didn't answer my question."

"Am I better? Well, no."

"Why not?"

"Perhaps you should ask A-Yao that," Jiang Cheng muttered. "Or maybe yourself."

"Pardon me? A bit louder, Wanyin, you can't expect me to have super-hearing."

"Nothing. I answered your question, now let go."

"Not when I know that you aren't well. You can rant, you know."

"Rant to the very cause of the problem? No thank you, I'm not that stupid. Now then, excuse me, Chief Cultivator," Jiang Wanyin bowed.

"Wanyin."

Jiang Cheng looked up, exasperation evident on his face.

"If I let go now... will you ever come back?"

"My shixiong's here, of course I'll come back."

"Not to Cloud Recesses. I meant to me."

Jiang Wanyin looked away, an expression of utter grumpiness written all over his sulking visage. "Chief Cultivator, it is an honour to be your friend, and why worry? Of course things shall stay that way, nothing happened to break a friendship, right?"

Xichen nodded. "Right then. Just..." he gripped the wrist tighter. "Just remember one thing. Even if you change from calling me Xichen to addressing me as Chief Cultivator... I'll always still call you Wanyin. Always."

For a split second, Jiang Cheng's eyes seemed to be like the Yunmeng lakes...

But then it was gone. Wiped off with a sour smile that radiated an aura of chagrin.

Lan Xichen bit the inside of his cheek and let go, watching Jiang Cheng striding out of the Hanshi, leaving the door open behind him.

The cold draughts of a nearing winter wrapped around his feet, making his sleeves and robes billow as he watched Jiang Wanyin meet up with Wei Wuxian on the compound grounds somewhere past the housing complexes.

One entire year at school...

Two years after graduation...

And yet-

Lan Xichen sighed.

And yet... Wanyin... three years, I've been trying and trying, but I've clearly failed, haven't I? Perhaps I mistook your words that day at school?

Lan Xichen gulped when he saw the brothers hugging, his mind drifting back to that one day...

**********

Three years ago...

*****⏳*****

"Wanyin, I'm really sorry about this..."

"It's fine, Xichen."

"Shufu insists on each os you going with someone else, still, since neither of you are yet graduated professionals. Our forests can be dangerous."