Part 4

I physically felt his penetrating gaze follow me making my way through the door, until I sat down next to Pedro.

"Hello again Miss Almada, how are you doing?"
Andres' deep, warm voice and the magnetizing spark in his eyes, made me move uncomfortably in my seat.

'So, he decided to cooperate with my game and not put the cards on the table.... he will not tell Pedro about our past ..'

"I'm fine, thank you, Mr. Moreno.
I would like to congratulate you again on joining Delgado Company. Welcome .."

"Thank you..Miss Almada".
A slight smirk appeared on his face and he looked amused.

It was very clear why Miguel was so enthusiastic about him.

Those who did not know Andres Moreno like I did, only saw how good he looked, wearing that expensive black suit and radiating tons of effortless sex appeal..

"Daniela, the reason I asked you to join us, is that I want you to put Mr. Moreno in the picture, regarding the Leonardo Hotel project.
Please update us at what stage the design process is right now, and where we stand in terms of schedule" Pedro asked me.

Pedro Delgado was a renowned architect, in his mid-sixties. He had a rather demanding and impatient personality, but at the same time, also kind and warm. He treated his employees like one big family.

'Stay focused!
And don't look at him! '

I started briefing them on the project I was working so hard on.

Andres listened intently, his gaze not leaving my face.
It wasn't easy for me at all, but I somehow managed to show calm and clarity of thought..

'I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing me troubled by his presence!'

Andres was sharp and quick-thinking, the questions he asked, made it clear that he immediately grasped where the problems in the project lay, without me having to say it explicitly.

After all, he was a successful and experienced businessman in the construction industry, and even though during the year we were together, I never got to see him run his job, I did not expect less from him.

"Miss Almada, please send me the most up-to-date drawings of the project, the secretary has my email address."

At that moment, Pedro's phone rang and he got up immediately after seeing the caller's name.

"Sorry guys, I have to take this call, please finish the discussion without me" He said and left the room.

Once we were left alone, there was a sudden awkward silence, and I was afraid he might hear my accelerated heartbeat.

Andres examined my face for a second, an indistinct look in his eyes.

I looked back at him.
'His power does not scare me!'

"long time no see.." he finally said. "You look different now, your curls are gone".

"Yes, five years..." I said, ignoring his comment about my hair, "I was definitely surprised to see you in my workplace...we have been told that our company is acquired by Sotos Construction, we didn't know that you are its owner.
Did you know I work here before you bought the company?"

"Not at first. Then they sent me the employees' resumes and I saw yours."

"And you didn't think it would be awkward for us to have to work together? for you to be my fucking boss?!"

"We're both adults, we shouldn't let our past affect us. I can handle it, what about you? Haven't you been able to overcome the past yet?"

"When I told you five yesrs ago that I never want to see your face again, I really meant it and that has not changed, at all!
I don't want to resign my job because of you!"

"You shouldn't resign and I don't want that.
Are you still that affected by me, that you can't handle being around me?" The cocky look that appeared in his eyes, immediately got on my nerves ..

"Don't flatter yourself so much!!
I can't stand you, that's all!
After five years, I have no emotion left for you, I've completely erased you from my life! I've changed, you know..I'm no longer that girl you once knew!!"

I immediately regretted my firm tone of voice.
Take control of yourself! Do not let him think he affects you that much, be cool like him!

"So what do you suggest we do now? I don't want to work with you.. It wouldn't be appropriate" I said more calmly.

"That's the situation and you'll have to deal with it...
I understand you don't want anyone in the company to know we were married, I will not talk about it, if that's what you want."

The amused spark reappeared in his eyes.

"You haven't changed that much, you know ...You're still quick-tempered and stubborn.." he grinned.

Andres was seven years older than me, and the years changed him.
He always had a strong and confident personality, but he was also warm and outgoing.

Something in him had changed, the look in his eyes was now much more cynical, opaque and even cold at times.

Except when the familiar amused spark appeared in his eyes, then he reminded me of the man I once knew ...

.