TAERYEONG - Bad Habits

This is so stupid.

And disappointing.

Pulling out a seat from under the table, Chaeryeong settled on the place next to her friend

Pulling out a seat from under the table, Chaeryeong settled on the place next to her friend. Her eyes were pretty much still closed from that day's English lesson. Don't get her wrong, she loves the English language. She just doesn't have a knack for learning in the early mornings.

"What's up?" Heeseung said, his tone indecipherable. He had his lunchbox opened in front of him and a fork idly sat in his hand as he warily stared at the students in the cafeteria.

Chaeryeong stuck her forehead on the table's surface. "Definitely not my mood, if that's a good enough answer." She had her mind on next week's event, the darned tests. It's really not that big of a deal, honestly, but there's going to be so many sleepless nights; that's what she was worried about.

Heeseung laughed half-heartedly. "Sounds good to me."

"Thanks," she deadpanned. "Also, where is he?" She had to turn her head to look for the usually earliest person to turn up at the table during lunch. She found it awfully suspicious that he'd been arriving later than usual these days. If it were because of class, she'd understand but Taehyun had always found ways to leaving early.

"Hm? Who?" Heeseung flatly asked, still eyeing the line of students at the front of the cafeteria. Chaeryeong couldn't help but roll her eyes at her friend's behavior. "Our friend Taehyun? The smart one who got away with bleaching his hair a few months back?"

Without much thought, Heeseung responded. "Upstairs, on the rooftop."

Chaeryeong laid her hand flat on the table. "Thank you," she stood up. "And quit staring at them before they think you're a creep." She left before Heeseung got the chance to throw a snarky remark at her.

Out on the school's rooftop, a male student was leaning on the edge of the building. His winter blazer did no justice at keeping him protected from the cold weather, though he was unfazed. In his hand, he held a box of some sort, which could be assumed as a box of playing cards. Unfortunately, it wasn't playing cards.

It was the classic; cigarettes. He had found comfort in these cancer sticks a while back. It started out of curiosity but as time went, he found himself using them as a way to relieve stress and that's most of the time. They provided him a new type of comfort, one that no humane thing could give.

Though, lately, he was trying to stop smoking before it was too late and became an addiction. So, there he was, doing his best to fight the urge to just whip a cig out from the box and light it up. He kept telling himself, think cute, think animals.

It wasn't working.

He brought the box up to meet his empty hand, pulled the flap back to reveal the neatly packed cigarettes and slid one out. He was stopped from placing the stick between his lips. "I'll take that from you.." A feminine voice from beside him, a female's hand swept in front of his view and retrieved the cig from his fingers.

He glanced over his shoulder. "He told you?" He knew he couldn't trust Heeseung.

"I wasn't supposed to know?" Chaeryeong glared at the boy. What made Taehyun hide this from her? She had yet to know about his worries, which made her worry more, honestly. "When did you start doing this?" She gestured at the cig in her hand, a look of displeasure on her face.

Taehyun chuckled, sheepishly. "A couple months ago.." He, of course, didn't want to tell her but there was no point in hiding it now that she's found him in action. Besides, it was only a matter of time 'til his little secret was spilled. What good would that do for him, anyway?

Chaeryeong then held her hand out, palm facing up. "Now."

The younger boy unwillingly gave in, placing the pack on her outstretched hand. "I'm only giving these to you because you're you." He confessed, looking away and stuffing his fairly cold hands into his blazer pockets. "I don't have more on me, by the way."

Chaeryeong commanded him to spread his arms. "Seriously?" She wordlessly nodded her head and watched as he did as told. She began frisking him, like you would in an airport during a security check. His upper half was a pass but she found something in the pocket of his pants.

"Really?" She stepped back to create space between them. She had just pulled out a vape from his pocket, blue in color and medium-sized. She set all of his stuff on a bench further away from them before returning to his side. "Now, do you want to explain all of this?"

Taehyun shrugged. "Not really?"

"Just tell me."

He laughed at her persistence. "I don't lay my problems on other people, Chae. I deal with them on my own."

"Yeah, and that's exactly why you're smoking. You're smoking because you're stressed. Why are you stressed? Because you don't want to talk to people about your worries. Why do you not want to talk to people about your worries? Because you're afraid they're going to judge you, or because you think they've got a lot on their plates already." Chaeryeong argued. "No, no more. You will tell me what you're stressing about and that is final."

It was silent for a few seconds after that. Taehyun decided to let her think she'd won. After all, it's not all the time you get to win against Kang Taehyun..

"Still no."

In the end, the two students stayed on the rooftop 'til the end of lunch. They did nothing, literally. They just sat in silence, basking in each others' presence. They would never say it out loud but it's nice to have someone you can just sit with. Heeseung didn't bother to come find them as he knew they'd come back - someday.

A smile crept up to Taehyun's face when Chaeryeong placed the cigarette box in his hand. "Thanks." The older one only hummed in response. Looking down at it, he deeply inhaled.

Chaeryeong looked away. "Don't go too crazy."

"Just admit that you care."

Shitty ending, yes, I know

I seriously do not know what else to write.