BEOMRYU - Wonder

Letting her gaze run over the scribbles on the piece of paper, Ryujin smiles at the kind gesture

Letting her gaze run over the scribbles on the piece of paper, Ryujin smiles at the kind gesture. Moving to a new neighborhood and starting fresh at a new school is always nervewracking, thankfully, her neighbor is kind enough to place a gift on her porch with a note containing words of encouragement.

She turns her head and spots her neighbor getting on his bike, ready to head off with his backpack on. She waves her hand, smiling widely, and watches as he feigns tying his already neatly tied shoelaces. Stifling a laugh, she hops down the steps and skips over to his house.

"Hi," she brightly greets. "Did you leave this on my door?"

The boy looks at the paper in her hand, nervously chuckling. "Uh.. Uh-uh, um - yup.. Yeah, yeah."

Ryujin wants to laugh but concludes that he'll think she's being rude and manages to stop herself. She holds her hand out and deeply inhaled, "I'm Ryujin, I didn't get to introduce myself properly yesterday.. Sorry about that."

He rubs his clammy hands on his pants, not wanting to scare Ryujin away with its dampness, and reluctantly grabs onto her hand. "Choi Beomgyu, that's.. that's my name." He mumbles, so low that Ryujin almost couldn't catch it.

"I know," she laughs. "Your mother came by last night, she told me that you'd help me adapt.. Is that okay with you?"

Beomgyu stammers and quietly mutters incoherent words to himself. "Uh, no, yeah! Sure.. I don't think I can do a good job, though.." He retracts his hand, realizing that they've been holding on for quite a while. "I'm, well.. I- I don't actually have a lot of friends, despite having spent my entire life here."

"Not that that matters," Ryujin says.

He looks at her, gulping. "...Sorry?"

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, you know. Having lots of friends doesn't define you as popular, either. Personally, I think having a smaller, more tight-knit group of friends is better than having many. I've always kept my circle of friends little, around three to four.. It's nice." She smiles.

He mirrors her, putting on a shy smile. "Oh, uh.. Thanks."

"For what?" Ryujin arches her brows.

"For- For, uh.. reassurance?"

Ryujin chuckles at his uncertainty. She thinks, maybe sticking with this lad won't be much of a hassle but more of an adventure. At least, she wants it to be that. "No problem," she says. "So, you lead the way?"

Beomgyu stammers and furrows his eyebrows, his fingers furiously tapping at the brake handles of his bike. "Uh.. Do you want to, um.. catch a ride, maybe?" He anxiously looks away, gazing down at the pavement and pursing his lips. He's afraid that question might've came out wrong, that'll be terribly horrifying.