Episode 7: Poetic Justice

If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?- Kendrick Lamar

Mission: Get out of the James' residence without getting caught by Ninja Grace James.

Olivia kissed Spencer's cheek as light snores left his lips. His mother had turned into bed earlier but didn't realize Olivia was still there at 1:30am. Olivia stuffed her feet into her Converses without untying them and threw her shirt over her head. Her curls were a disheveled mess but they'd be fine until later.

She carefully slid Spencer's door open and squeezed out without opening it all the way. One last test, opening the front door without making too much noise.

"Oh!"

Olivia's heart raced as she ran into a solid figure on her way to the door. Her eyes traveled up slowly until she met the eyes of De'Angelo Carter.

"Hey," she laughed nervously.

"What are you doing here so late," he whispered, looking embarrassed himself.

"Um, studying," Olivia lied, biting her lip.

"Hmmm, does your father know you're out studying this late," Carter pressed, glancing down at his phone.

"Ugh," she groaned. "You're going to tell him aren't you?"

"What's going on in here," Dillon asked, peeking out from his room.

"Shhh," Olivia put a finger to her lips.

"Liv, you're still here? Mr. Carter, what are you...I don't even want to know," Dillon gagged.

"Better get out of here before Miss Grace gets up," Olivia turned to the door before turning back around. "Please, keep this between us. I'd like Spencer to make it to graduation. See ya!"

Olivia stumbled out the door and ran to her car. Mission accomplished... sorta.
———————-
"Amina hurry up before you miss your bus," Coop urged, finishing Amina's lunch. "Hey!"

"I'm coming, damn," the young girl said, closing the door to her room.

"Whoa, excuse me? Watch your mouth."

Amina was becoming a challenge. Her behavior at school was changing and she was beginning to rebel against Coop when Preach wasn't around. "Man, I'm out of here," Amina spat but Coop caught her before she hit the door.

"I don't know what your problem's been but you need to fix it. What's going on," she questioned. "Someone bullying you in school?"

Amina laughed, "Nobody bullies me." She grabbed her book bag and lunch box and rushed out the door before Coop could dig any deeper.

Something wasn't right and Coop wished Amina would open up about it. She already felt extremely guilty and with Amina's behavior starting to take a turn, Coop wanted to offer more help.

There was one thing Amina had talked about that  she seemed to love when she was back in Philadelphia. Coop texted Olivia who had been teaching dance classes at the rec center for months. Maybe that would help Amina cope with the loss.

———
Later that afternoon, Olivia made the drive to Crenshaw with her homemade poster and radio. One thing Spencer hated was unwanted attention and here was his girlfriend about to blast a Bow Wow and Ciara classic in the South Crenshaw halls.  She had spent hours creating a remix the day before and she knew he wouldn't ever let her forget this day. It would be worth the laughs though.