Larry seemed unlike himself tonight and Aggie considered this as she washed her hair. Larry was like this at work too on the occasion that non-work related conversation was sparked. When he had a task or a purpose, he fulfilled it. It was the personal aspects at work that seemed to escape him, like chit chatting over silly things. In a completely professional setting, no one would know that Larry was a kind of strange man. However, no office was completely professional. She let her mind wander through the meaningless thoughts.

Aggie dug an over sized gray sweater out of the bag that Larry brought. She found loose leggings for sleeping as well as bras and underwear. She held up a lace bra, one of the translucent variety. Would she be uncomfortable with him getting into her underwear drawer, if she were sober? She decided that because he lacked ulterior intent, she wouldn't be. Or would she be... she shrugged it off. Another thought for another time.

Aggie came down stairs to Larry placing two plates on the table. She sat down across from him and began eating; she had no idea how hungry she had been. She hadn't eaten since her arrival. Then, in the middle of her 3rd bite, she noticed the whiskey bottle, he had more than matched her take and then she smiled up at him.

He smiled back and tilted his head slightly as he shrugged. "I was accounting for weight."

She covered her mouth to keep the food from spilling out as a laugh demanded to escape her throat.

They finished their meals and then tried to engage in conversation. At first it was about work, but the lack of interest from both of them killed each attempt.

Larry made them each a mixed drink after taking the plates to the sink. Aggie took a small sip and then ran her thumb up and down the cup.

"Larry?"

"Yeah." He said taking a drink of his own cup.

"You said you knew how this felt." She paused feeling sick about resurrecting these kinds of emotions in another person. "What did you mean?"

"So," A long pause. "I was an only child adopted by an elderly couple. My mom got sick and passed in my early twenties. My dad died when I was on a deployment so when I got back home there wasn't anyone to pick me up."

"No girlfriend? Or friends."

"That trauma didn't make me odd." He responded and smiled at her before taking another drink. "I was always this way. Anyway, I was completely alone and I kind of spiraled out and then I just poured my life into the military."

"I don't understand how there was no one for you." Aggie said, not considering the weight of her question until it was out of her mouth. She took a large drink and shook her head, the mixed drink swishing in her mouth. It was clearly too strong for that. She swallowed and breathed through it, while considering that she at the minimum had Evan. Even if he would have been reluctant, he would have come. She almost smiled knowing now that she had Larry too.

Larry laughed and explained. "It's okay. I was kind of on my own, but by my own design, I suppose."

Aggie tilted her head in interest.

"My parents didn't really have any family." He continued. "But, my biological parents had reached out when I was in my mid twenties. I had declined meeting with them or receiving anything from them. My father encouraged me to reach out to them when he was alive, especially after my mother died and even more so after his health started to scare him."

"Why didn't you?" She asked.

Larry at first shrugged, but looked at his cup thoughtfully. Then he lifted it to his mouth before going on. "I never struggled like most adopted kids seem to. It just didn't bother me to be adopted and I was afraid that if I did meet them that they would somehow corrupt that for me. I never felt abandoned. I felt like I was given.... Like I was this gift for them. I was everything that they ever wanted.... Kind of."