Can We Talk Tonight?

Start from the beginning

She felt bad to think such a way though, she began to think that she's filtering out who he is, who he should be, what makes him him. But to Steven, it meant the world to him. It wasn't as difficult as he thought it would be when he had shown his non-normal self. He thought that she would cast him aside, and be left with Connie. He doesn't mind his jam-partner, of course, he adores her for being by his side and struggling for so long, but, embarrassingly, he's gotten lonely without her. And the distance between them is already hard to close because of the severed lives they have to move on to; on most days, he felt more distant than they should be. But he believed it would be worse to have a shallow friend who hung around uncomfortably around him instead of being cast aside. At least he won't have a problem facing her when she leaves, but if she's still considered a "friend" and shows effort into being with you, it's hard to say "no" and leave. It'll also be and feel more hurtful when they hide a secret that you already know.

A blank expression showed amongst his face as he stared upon the dipped blanket roof. He was feeling butterflies at the thought of a new friend; a close, and understanding friend. One that he didn't cause too much trouble—... maybe that's a lie. Still, he moved silently and lifted to a sitting position. Through the cracks of the thin blanket walls, he eyed the moonlit view through the glass door and that blank expression slowly turned into a smile. "You're officially considered as my second best friend now, Y/n." He looked down to his right where the, now familiar, girl who laid in between him and Connie.

Her eyes showed barely any light thanks to the shadow that he caused, but they were bright when she stared into his eyes. If he could've leaned in closer, he could maybe see his reflection, and maybe that reflection could show how he felt at this moment. But in all, they were happy.

It was now Connie's turn to sit up, but with no dramatic thing to say, she lift a flat fist above Y/n's face and pointed towards Steven's chest. With a short little grin, Steven forms a small fist of his own then taps and holds their knuckles together. Waiting for the third member, they looked down unto Y/n's laying body. But with little to no hesitation, she bends her arm and fingers and lightly bumps below the two differently sized fists.

The quiet interaction didn't last long, Connie flopped back onto her cot and Steven snuggled down to his wrapped blanket. This time they placed effort into gaining some sleep. The school was expecting Y/n tomorrow, Steven had to focus on helping the Little Homeschool, and Connie had many things to catch up on before her leave. There were many things to do, but they all promised another night of fun so they didn't have to worry about a day of not meeting each other. It was funny how Y/n had suddenly gotten attached to these total strangers.

"Y/n?" Steven whispered so the already knocked out Connie couldn't be awakened.

"Hm?" She responded and gave Steven some relief to know that he wasn't talking to someone unconscious.

"When I watched your videos, you seemed to have a really good camera," he looked away from the female shyly but haltered into the eye contact, "I plan to renew an advertisement for Little Homeschool, will it be alright if I can record it with your camera for better quality?" his hands subconsciously moved under his head as a pillow.

"Oh of course! But I'll need to be there so I can supervise you guys, not like I don't believe that you can be responsible, it's just that my family paid a lot for it." the female turned to her side to gain a better look of the male.

"Understandable, when do you want to do it?"

"Maybe Friday after school, is that alright?" she questioned and was agreed by a simple nod.

As silence took over, Y/n eyed the boy. She could see why the girls in her school a few days back could call him attractive—in her opinion, it's more of "cute"; huggable in a way. The bridge of his nose was long but it didn't feel uncomfortable to look over thanks to its straight structure. His eyes were big and could hold stars, if only she could see them more. His hair is curly but never unkempt, it looked so simple and comfortable to run your fingers through it. He is what you would call, a cuddle bear.

"You have something to say, Y/n?" he broke her out of her analysis with an awkward laugh.

In a reaction her mouth gained a mind of her own, "I was just— wondering where your gem side came from!" she rushed in her words and immediately cursed regrettably in her mind.

He was surprised but not totally offended. When her words had finally sunk in he looked over to the side with a reminiscing look of slight annoyance. Even without any words spoken, she knew it was a sensitive topic, and that made her regret her choice of words even more.

"You don't have to answer you kno—,"

"There's nothing much to actually worry about, it's just a simple thing of aliens living in another world that is all... Alieny." He spreads his fingers far apart above his chest and does a little shake before letting them fall flat on the surface below. Steven's eyelids flickered to a close when his view looked down. "I'm proud to have such a diverse set of family members. I got to experience a whole different lifestyle, on a whole different planet thanks to them. I still wonder why we couldn't have started together; why we had to be so far apart in the beginning," he spoke words that were used in ways of comfort and carry a sense of motivation to the thoughts spoken, but with the tone of rasp and the faintest disgust that barely anyone could detect, the message seemed a bit out of reach; it felt that there was another side that should be seen,

Y/n saw through the tone, she's used it enough to know it herself, but of course, a sense of context was lacking as to what caused him to detest that big realization. So she stayed quiet of it, though not untouched.

"Unlike you, I've been kept away from family members, and I somewhat wish to know them all a bit better. There are days where I feel like I don't know my own parents or closest relatives. And I feel obliged to go on a hunt for knowledge," she remained on the vaguer side of the topic, "I don't know, Steven. Should I look for that knowledge or stay ignorant?" Her eyes land over to the widened pair next to hers.

He pursed his lips, but just as he was about to give his surest answer he resisted and quivered them back close. Eyeing the tense and tight grip of his sheets, Y/n hears her answer, "I don't have the right to tell you, but back then I just did whatever my heart desired."

She nods, but hears the quietest whisper yet, "But it almost took too much..." Connie whispered with intent for no one else to hear, and she was successful for the male.

Leaving things just the way they were, Y/n silent shifts to her most comforting position, and loosely closes her eyes shut. As she intended to wake up early, a certain dream kept her in place. The source of thought being:

"I wish I met you two sooner... Maybe when I could've helped."