The Fire

Third Person pov

          "That it, then?"

          The man who had just spoken pulled the cigarette away from his mouth, slumping a little in the spot where he was sitting. Three other enforcers lunged around him, the woman against the railing smoking as well. And then there was one last one hanging off to the side, her blue hair cut clean and long around her shoulders.

          "I thought that Talis boy was some kind of genius," the man continued with a throw of his hand, earning a few chuckles from the others except for the dark-haired woman. "Last year, didn't he launch a blimp halfway across the continent?"

          "Airship, actually," the woman said as she looked over her shoulder at them. "And airship has a rigid metal hull. It's not a blimp."

          "It's a balloon, isn't it?" the man growled as he sneered at her.

          "Sure as hell looks that way," the other woman said as a puff of smoke escaped her thin lips.

          "Pardon us, if we aren't quite so refined as you, milady," the other man hummed and earned another round of laughter from the others.

          "What are you even doing here, Kiramman?" the woman hissed as she flickered her cigar. "Don't you have a cocktail party to attend?"

          Laughter broke out once more, and the woman simply turned away and looked ahead. And then her eyes widened on a red hot glow pulsing some feet away.

          "Fire," she realized. "Fire!"

          She began sprinting forward, quickly leaping into action with the others pulling themselves away to follow her.

          "What's happening?" an enforcer cried as the woman with dark hair shielded her eyes.

          "Get the fire brigade!" she ordered with a wave of her arm. She then ran over to a fire extinguisher, unhooking it from the wall as the last three enforcers ran up to the burning building while shielding their eyes.

          "Help!" a small voice echoed through the air--coming from right inside. "In here, please. Help me."

         The three looked between one another before filing in, covering their mouths and noses as they moved past the smoke.

          "Help. It's so hot, please. I'm trapped."

          The woman outside the building began spraying the white foam on the walls, doing her best to try and tame the flames down.

          "I'm a helpless little girl, and I've set the building on fire."

          Pink eyes began glowing in the center of the room, fire licking around her small frame. Upon further inspection, the enforcers began making out that her arms were up, one arm bare while the other was shiny and metallic. And she had a smile on her lips as she tilted her head, gray hair falling to the side.

          "By accident," her voice was changing from the child-like tone back to her normal one. "Totally by accident."

         And then small objects fell down from the ceiling, clinging on the lines they were attached to. Mouse looked up, eyes widening on the ticking bombs set above her.

            "Also, I brought this dynamite," Jinx's voice carried out of the speakers within them. "Goodbye."

            The jaws chomped down just before they all began exploding. Mouse quickly grabbed Squeaks, who had been hiding in her hair, and wrapped her body up in her metal hand as she used the other to shield her eyes. The enforcers around her flew away in different directions, but the heavy wind and explosive power didn't affect Mouse. She stood and watched the enforcers' bodies slam into walls and slump against the crumbling building, and she sighed a little as she began walking through the fire. The heat licked against her pants and boots, the metal of her fingers clicking as she loosened her hold on Squeaks. The mouse quickly climbed up and perched herself on her shoulder just as Mouse walked out of the building, placing one hand on her hip while looking down. An enforcer with dark blue hair was groaning while another lay dead by her side.

           Jinx's giggling made Mouse look up, noticing her climbing up the stairs of the building the enforcers had been guarding. Rolling her eyes, Mouse stepped over the woman's body as her eyes began to flutter open. She watched the gray-haired girl move up to the other, their voices mixing together.

            "I told you no bombs," Mouse hissed as she and Jinx began moving up the stairs.

            "What can I tell you, Twitch? I'm a sucka for it," Jinx grinned as the two slipped inside the open door and into a dark hallway. Mouse rolled her eyes as she took the lead, pointing a finger forward. On cue, Squeaks jumped down her shoulder and to her outstretched hand, using that to leap off and land on the ground. Without skipping a beat, the mouse began scurrying across the ground with her nose in the air. Mouse followed behind as Jinx lingered, looking around and continuing to smile and hum as the two moved through the dark hallway. Squeaks sniffed and squeaked, turning into a cracked door and disappearing from view. Mouse tilted her head a little, pushing the door with the toe of her plain boot. Inside was a dark room with a curtain to the front of it leading to an open stage, yet Mouse wasn't focused on that. Her eyes landed on the glowing blue ball sitting in the center of the room on a podium. Squeaks ran up alongside the podium and perched right next to it, turning towards the other two while standing on her hind legs and squeaking. "Bingo!"

            Mouse stopped Jinx from taking a step within the room, motioning down to the string set horizontal along the ground on the other side. Jinx took one look at it before rolling her eyes and stepping over it, taking the lead into the room now as she hummed and swayed towards the podium. Mouse looked around before stepping inside as well, watching as Jinx plucked the small ball up and between her fingers.

            "Huh," Jinx hummed in thought as she rolled the ball between the pads of her fingers before looking over at Mouse. She rose one thin eyebrow up in silent questioning as she grinned. "Remember this?"

            She held it out towards her, and Mouse looked from Jinx to the glowing blue ball.

            "What is it?" Mouse whispered as she moved closer to Jinx.

            "I don't know."

           "What are they?"

          The strange voice rang through Mouse's head as she gasped, taking a step back as her body began tensing up and her head twitched to the side. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to force out the young girl's voice from my head.

          "I don't know."

            This next girl's voice sent another spasm up her spine and she clutched her head, doubling over while taking another few steps away from Jinx. The blue-haired girl watched intently as Mouse shook her head around before beginning to pound a fist against her temple, gasping and reeling in air through clenched teeth before suddenly stopping. She slowly rose back up, her glowing pink eyes locking on Jinx's curious blue ones.

            "Let's go," Mouse panted before turning her back on Jinx and hurrying out of the room. Jinx looked down at Squeaks as the mouse looked up at her, and Jinx rolled her eyes a little.

            "I'm trying to help her," she sighed as she opened her palm out to the mouse. "I really am, Whiskers."

          The mouse jumped into her palm, letting Jinx move her hand up so she could nestle into the top of her head.

          "It's hard, though," Jinx mumbled as she began walking after Mouse. "She just--can't remember."