Chapter 3: Ceremony Of The Sacred Hand

Start from the beginning

"So you just called me over here to insult me!"

 "No!... of course not, how about I introduce myself, my name is Klayden Amber.

 I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "I know who you are."

"Good! That makes things easier. I have a proposal, how about you join us, we can get rid of the commoners and be successful in the ceremony."

 I looked him in those blue eyes, searching for any sign of this being a joke, but he was unsympathetic. I Furrowed my brow. 

"Don't you have a shred of honor!" I exclaimed.

 He put his finger to his lips, and whispered, "You fool do you want them to hear us." I was at a loss for words. To avoid making a scene, I headed back to my bunk, "You missed out Zarek!" He chuckled with his friends. 

"What a fool." I donned my black tunic and headed for a training yard.

I passed the black smith's workshop and the entrance to the training yard was ahead. I was expecting to be alone, but in the yard expertly swinging her sword at the dummy was the half-elf girl. I didn't want to disturb her, but I didn't want to be awkward either. I entered.

 "Hope I'm not disturbing you, do you mind if I train here as well?" She stopped and rested on her sword, panting heavily.

 "Not at all." I nodded and unsheathed my sword. I started to swing at the dummy, but from the corner of my eye I could see she was staring at me, but I ignored her and continued swinging. 

"Nice sword!" She said. 

 I looked at her surprised, she didn't look like a talkative person. "Thank you!" 

"Where are my manners, My name is Shael Vesculbo, bastard daughter of Lenald Vesculbo." 

I exclaimed, "Bastard!"

 "Yes, my father allowed me the honor of keeping his last name, so I understand your surprise. That's enough about me, tell me about yourself?"

"Well... my name is Zarek Rheatonsey, unknown son of Engar." 

"Unknown! Why?" 

"I don't exactly look like other humans, so he kept me hidden for my safety." 

"Well, I think if people were good, they would accept you for being born different." My eyes widened, and hearing someone I barely knew say this, put a smile on my face.

The evening was soon upon us, and supper was about to be served. Training outside late with Shael reminded me of the late days I spent outside training with my master. 

"Zarek," she said, It's getting late, I think we should head in." We were exchanging laughs while on our way to the mess hall. I never talked to anyone like this in a while, and I was happy. We entered the mess hall, and the smell of sweet and spicy aromas poured from the kitchen, it was full of laughter and incoherent chattering. The knights sat at the long tables, and the recruits sat separated from them. Klayden and his goons shared a table with the commoners, and their faces did not look happy. Shael and I grabbed some supper from the cook and headed back to the table, there was a space close to Klayden, but as we were going to grab a seat, he put his hand in our space. 

He smirked, "This seat is taken, how about you and your girlfriend find somewhere else to sit." 

"The seat is clearly not taken!" I said, "how about you stop acting like an ass, and move!"

He Smacked the table hard and stood up, "What did you say to me!?" I was about to respond, but a burly kid from the table behind them intervened, 

"There is a seat available here if you want it." I nodded my head in agreement, shael and I sat down without saying a word.