Chapter 13- fatal feelings

Y/n was far more interested in Illumi's sudden onset of emotions than resting. She sat up from the bed, wincing at first. She took a moment to get up and concealed her presence. She followed after Illumi and Hisoka, being careful not to let them notice.

        "Now now, don't give me that look. I got excited." Hisoka sighed. 

        "You're making my family look weak." Illumi glared at him.

        "Hm, a clever excuse." Hisoka grinned.

         Illumi raised an eyebrow at his words. "If you think I have another reason, you are mistaken."

       "I think we both know that's not true. Though I can't say I don't understand why, she's incredibly strong. Very pretty as well, even you can't deny it."

        "She is attractive, yes. That doesn't mean I care for her."

        "Then why are you so angry with me? I know it's not about making you look weak, so why?"

         "I'm unsure," Illumi tilted his head.

          "Then you can't say that it isn't her!" Hisoka sighed. "You're so clueless." He took a step toward Illumi. "Are you angry that I hurt her, repeatedly? Maybe because I held her, even if it was by the throat. Perhaps you're jealous? Or maybe you actually have feelings for her and don't like to see her in pain?"

         "That isn't possible. I am an assassin, feelings would be useless."

         "I know of a way we might be able to test out my little theory." Hisoka walked over to where y/n was listening in. He lifted her by her arm into Illumi's sight. "There's no one else around, so if I kill her here, you won't have to worry about looking weak." He held a card to y/n's neck.

         "Go ahead." Illumi watched Hisoka's actions closely. 

         Y/n stared tearing up. She squirmed to get out of Hisoka's grip. "Illumi please don't let him." 

         Illumi continued to stare, baring no expression.

         Hisoka added just enough pressure to draw a small amount of blood from y/n's neck. She winced and held her eyes shut. Without warning Hisoka dropped her. When y/n opened her eyes, Illumi had his pins in his hand. He gave Hisoka an unmistakably threatening glare. 

        Y/n looked at him in shock. Her eyes watered. She could hardly believe what had just happened. Illumi moved toward her and helped her off the floor. 

        Hisoka grinned in triumph. "That's what I thought."

       "Hisoka, I will kill you if I feel it is necessary." Illumi helped y/n back to the infirmary. She didn't dare question his words or actions. 

        'He's probably still uncomfortable with the idea of having feelings. He's always so closed off, but now I know that his father was wrong. He does care. He cares about me at least enough to not let Hisoka kill me.' Y/n was just happy that he cared at all.

         "Hey," she stared. "Thanks." She gave him a soft smile before laying back down to rest.