chapter 8- The Zoldyck Family

Y/n's mind was racing as they arrived at the front gate of the Zoldyck mansion. 

       "This is the gate, but I'm curious, how many of the doors can you open?" Illumi tilted his head and looked at her expectantly.

       "What do you mean?" She asked.

       "The more force you put into the more gates you open." He waited for her with an expression that resembled curiosity, as much as his face could.

       Y/n slowly walked to the gates, full of apprehension. She placed her hands on the gates center and looked back at him nervously, he nodded. She drew a deep breath in and put all the force she could into her arms. She pushed open five of the gates. She looked back at Illumi, and for just a moment he looked genuinely surprised. He escorted her inside.

       Once they arrived, they were brought into the dining room, where both of their families were waiting in silence. 

       "Mom, Dad!" Y/n ran to greet her parents. She gave them a both a big hug and showed off her new hunter license. "Look, first try!"

       "Ahem," A large man with long, white hair cleared his throat.

       "Y/n we're very proud of you, but for now, we'd like to introduce you to the head of the Zoldyck family, Silva Zoldyck." Y/n's father introduced the man who had just interrupted their reunion. 

       "Y/n Delacour, I've heard much about you." Silva let out a hardy chuckle. "Illumi, how did she do at the gates."

       "She opened five," Illumi informed him.

       "More than expected, what a pleasant surprise." Silva responded. "She will do quite well."

       "She exceeded even my own expectations." Illumi looked down at her with his usual blank stare. "Though, that means, she has only become more of a bother."

       "Then kill her." Silva didn't hesitate to offer his son his grim approval. 

       Illumi wasted no time, attacking her as soon as the words had left his father's mouth. Y/n's parents didn't dare move a muscle, just watching. Y/n dodged Illumi's pins by a hair. He appeared behind her, similarly to how he did during the final phase of the exam. She was prepared this time and leapt out of the way. She spotted some of his pins flying at her, immediately after. She caught one and dodged the rest. She was acutely aware that she had no chance at winning, but Illumi seemed to not be fighting seriously. She wasn't able to finish her thought.

        Silva began to scold his son,"You could've killed her at least six times, why are messing around?" He threw a knife from the table in his direction. Illumi could have easily dodged it, but he wasn't moving.

       'What the hell is he doing?'

        Y/n jumped between Illumi and his father. She caught the knife and sent it flying back at Silva, surprising everyone in the room.

       "This little brat! Not only trying to steal my precious son, but actually having the audacity-" A woman, likely Illumi's mother began to march toward y/n.

       Silva stopped her with a sharp glare. He turned back to y/n, who had taken a defensive stance in front of Illumi. He started laughing, making y/n flinch, ready to attack.

       "Look at that, she defends you. After you say she's a bother and attack her at my order. Not only is her back exposed to you, but she is actively trying to protect you, who she know is stronger than her, from me, who would kill her in less than a second. What do you think of that Illumi?"