Chapter 9: Looking for a job

Here I am, that lost my cameraman job and am trying to find a new one. The great thing is, I saw this poster that there is a competition that allows the top 3 winners to be employees of that small company. 

“Photo taking competition,” I read the text from that company saying that I can officially join the competition and it starts tomorrow. 

(Next day)
We were supposed to gather at an open stage as they will announce the competition details. “Okay, gather around. I’m going to share the details about the competition.” The host standing on the stage holding a mic said. 

This competition feels official but not official at the same time. There weren't any seats so all of us had to stand while listening to the host. There’s this 2 young guys standing in front of me wearing bright coloured shirts. They talked so loudly and arrogantly they made me feel so irritated. I wish they would be eliminated. 

“So, all the 15 of you would be entering this competition and this competition will provide you with a camera each. The competition will last a week and you have to take a minimum of 10 photos to maximum of 50 photos about a story of a person. It can be anyone, including yourself. Remember, it must be interesting and your photos must be well taken as well. Good luck!” Like this, the host left the stage without saying much. As I queued up to take the camera provided by them, I felt excited for the first time in my life, not knowing that I would enter in a mini competition to enter into a job. 

(That night)
I went home with an expensive camera (and dinner) in my hands… I was so excited that I’ve already planned a storyline in my head. I put the dinner on the dining table as I carefully placed the camera on my bed. “I’m home.” Taemi sounded sad as she came back home and as usual, dropped her bag on the sofa. 

“How’s school?”I asked Taemi, obviously sounding excited as we both sat down on the dining chair and immediately opened the food package for dinner I brought home. Taemi didn’t say anything. I was so happy I couldn’t sense a thing so I continued talking proudly, “your brother is in the midst of finding a job and will be attending a competition in order to get employed in. Don’t worry I’ll make sure to surprise the judges and get a job there!” Taemi smiled and replied, “That's a good opportunity for you to show your talent.” Although Taemi replied to me, she sounded really upset. That's when I found her acting weird, “are you okay, Taemi?” She looked at her food and continued eating without lifting her head. 

Taemi suddenly sobbed. “Sorry… I just… can’t help it…” she said. Something must’ve happened back in school. “What happened?” I asked naturally. “No… nothing. It’s just me….” She replied. Something must’ve obviously happened in school that made her this sad and this unwilling to share. “Okay… just remember to text me whenever you’re heading home.” I just replied to her as simply as possible as she nodded her head.

To distract her from her thoughts, I handed her this month's money and told her I’ll give her more when I get top 3 in that competition. “Wha-“ Taemi almost raised her voice when she saw how much I gave her but the moment she looked into my wallet, she couldn’t say much. I felt sorry for her. She must’ve suffered so much pain ever since the day dad grabbed her for the first time.