"You're all I have left," Vi added as her face turned softer and she cupped her sister's cheek. "I can't lose you."

         Powder nestled her head into her palm a little before Vi pulled back and began digging into her bag, "Here. If they come for you, take this and run."
She placed a flare inside Powder's hand, curling her little fingers around the handle before pushing it in her direction.

          "Where ever you are, light it up, and I'll find you. I promise."

            The two touched foreheads before peeling away, Vi moving past me while grabbing my shoulder. I was jerked along with her, Whiskers squeaking as she was kicked a little before running up the back of my leg and taking her perch on my shoulder. Mylo and Claggor were already waiting at the top, and when we reached them we all stopped to look at Powder standing in her own little bubble. Her very small, very hurt bubble. And then we slipped out, Vi slamming the door firmly behind her.

* * * * *

            I panted a little as we ran through the alleys of the Lanes, finally reaching the end of our long journey ahead of us. Vi was right behind me, keeping pace with everyone else as Mylo seemed to sigh and tsk his tongue every other second. Claggor took the rear, looking out for any wandering eyes.

            "Why is she coming?" Mylo finally spoke up as I stopped at the end of the alley we were in, looking out at the water beyond. Looking over, I spotted the cannery I had followed Silco into. "She's going to mess--"

            "Shut up, Mylo," Vi hissed as she turned to face him. "She's here to help."

           Whiskers squeaked, throwing a fist in his direction just as he rolled his eyes.

            "The mouse is more help than--"

           "I know a route through," I spoke up, pulling away from the edge of the alley and around Vi to face Mylo. I then pointed up at the cannery roof, tilting my head as I looked at it. "The window panes are shattered up there. We can slip in and find Vander that way."

            I turned away as Mylo's jaw fell a little, and I stuffed my hands in my hoodie pocket as I smiled a little to myself. I've never stood up for myself--it felt nice. Looking over my shoulder, Claggor nailed a fist against Mylo's shoulder as his way of butting in. Vi's eyes were on me, a little smile on her own lips.

           "Let's go," I mumbled, ducking my head and moving quickly along the dock while ignoring the fluttering sensation in my chest. The others quickly followed suit, following my every move. Everyone could swing themselves up the side of the building exactly as I did. I let out a little breath of relief when I reached the top, climbing up to the very tip of the roof before sliding down the other side. My feet landed softly on the flat surface, following it until we reached the pane of glass I had spoken about. I knelt down beside it, saving room for Vi beside me to look into. Claggor and Mylo looked over our shoulders, looking down at the empty railing below.

            "Let's get Vander and get out," Vi whispered before looking at me and nodding. I nodded back, slipping my legs through first. I let out a small, shaky breath as I took a minute to myself to adjust to the height of the fall between me and the railing, which didn't look very secure.

           "See? I told you--" Mylo began saying before I pushed off and dropped. Whiskers let out a soft squeak as I landed in a crouched position, staying low to the ground before crawling on all fours against the railing with wood on it to give me more hiding. Looking around and noticing no one was around, I looked up and nodded at the others. Vi went first, grabbing hold of a nearby pillar and dropping better than I had done. Claggor was next, being louder due to his weight being just a little more than us. And Mylo was the loudest of them all, and he was the lightest.

           Creeping forward, I took the lead once more as Whiskers walked in front of me. She sniffed the air and ground as she went, going in a more zig-zag pattern before reaching a corner and looking right. Stopping the others behind me, I took in a deep breath before looking around. And just across from me was another room with the doors wide open, Vander sitting bloody and broken in the chair in the center with straps holding him down. I motioned Vi to look, and she gasped as I looked around. With no sign of anyone around, I motioned everyone forward. We hustled across the strip of metal separating us from Vander, quickly reaching him just as he began to wake up.

            He spit out some blood, eyes raising up to us before reeling back in surprise, "Vi."

            She dropped the bag before lurching forward and wrapping her arms around Vander.

          "What are you doing here?" Vander demanded as Vi pulled away and smiled at him.

            "We're breaking you out," she answered while cupping the back of his head. "Mylo."

            She pulled away as the boy muttered, "On it," before kneeling next to Vander and beginning to pick the locks holding him down.

             "How... how did you get in?" Vander whispered as I pulled off to the side and turned my ear towards where we had entered to listen for any footsteps. "There's guards everywhere."

            Vi paced beside me as the two boys worked on getting Vander free.

            "It was easy," I answered while taking a step forward. "I found an open window and..."

            I stopped myself short when I felt Vi's hand squeeze my shoulder.

            "Oh, God. You have to get out. Now," Vander uttered before we heard clapping from behind.