𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

All that begins, eventually comes to an end.

Epilogue

"Can you close up today, Rannia?"

"Sure, boss."

Cold air filtered through the rattling vents overhead as her manager bade her farewell for the night. The icecream shop door closed and she watched as his retreating figure disappeared into the parking lot lights.

Shaking her head to herself and allowing a secret smile, she grabbed a cloth and began to wipe down the counters. It was a part-time job she was taking in order to save up for college.

Once she was done cleaning the counters, she headed over to the sink to rinse out her cloth.

Behind her, the door bell jingled. Without turning, she greeted the customer.

"A little late to be getting an icecream cone, isn't it?" She joked.

"I felt like it," came an unfamiliar vice. Rannia's brows curled and she turned to face the customer. She had moved to a small town, one where she new everyone by name. But she did not recognize this man.

"That's fair." She tossed the cloth into the sink and wiped her hands on her apron, smiling with that trained smiled her manager convinced her to wear. "What can I help you with?"

"Hm." The man wandered forward and leaned over the counter, peering into the icecream bins. His eyes traced over each one. From across the counter, she smelt smoke.

It reminded her of him.

"I'll take a Moose Tracks," the man said. "Small."

Rannia grabbed a small cone in a napkin and leaned forward to scoop up some icecream. When she looked down, she realized the container was empty.

"Oh, sorry. We have some more stock in the back," she apologized. "I'll be right back."

Scolding herself silently for not replacing the empty tin sooner, she marched into the back room. The icy temperature of the freezer caused her skin to raise. Wrapping her arms around herself and searched the isle for where Moose Tracks would be located.

"P...Q..." she murmured under her breath. "Uh, what's after Q-- oh! S? Wait, no--the fuck-?"

With a little scream, a hand came around her arm and whirled her backwards, slamming her back against the freezer. Wincing as pain spread through her shoulders at the impact, she braced herself. Before she could swing a good one back at her attacker, her hands were caught together and were pinned above her head.

"Who the fuck--!" Her curses stopped when she breathed in.

Musk.

Cigar.

Leather.

She froze and ice ran down her spine, all as the rough hands gripping her wrists heated her skin.

Him.

The man stared down at the girl he had pinned against the wall. She stared up at him with wide, unblinking eyes, ones that quickly shifted from shock to recognition.

Good, she still recognizes me, was his first thought. And his second was something along the lines of boobs.

"You didn't think I'd keep my promise, did you?" He grit out, hating how his body was trembling at how long he'd waited for this moment.

"Let me go," she ordered, but her tone lacked authority. Their power roles were reversed since they'd last seen each other.

The cold blade she always kept against her thigh bit into her skin. She itched to grab it, but her hands were tightly restrained above her head.

"I can't." He glared at her. "Fucking Hell, girlfriend, I've tried. Six months I've tired to drown myself in anything but you."

Jealousy reared its ugly head as images of him with other women filled her mind.

"For six months I've lived in my own Hell. We're not good for each other, but I can't stay away."

"I just wanted to forget, you brat," she whispered.

"You don't deserve to," Mykel whispered back. He used his free hand to tilt her head upwards. Her lips opened, ready for him. "But just this once, one last time..."

"One last time," she echoed, the words melting on her lips as he broke their promise with a kiss.

It was like that last drag of a burnt out cigarette.

Because deep down you knew, even if it was the last in the pack, it would never, never be the last.

Not until the last breath of it killed you.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃

Feel free to check out the notes after this. I'd love to see what you all think of it, and I'd also like you to see a bit into the creation of this story :D

And please love yourself. If not for yourself, do it for someone who's gonna love you in the future.