𝟐𝟗

(Sorry for being so absent on...all my books. I've been struggling with a lot of things and I haven't had the motivation or time to write a chapter I thought decent. Here we are though. I hope you enjoy. I'm hoping that I'll be writing more soon hehe)

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Waiting for someone?"

It was still bright day out; rush hour had begun, and the already busy streets clogged with more and more traffic as people were released from their jobs. Rannia stood outside the entrance of the Mc. Dicks, legs jittery from earlier events, and waited for Carter and Mykel to exit. She'd gotten out of there as fast as she fucking could.

"What's it to you?" she replied curtly, not bothering to offer the stranger a look.

He had been lurking around the restaurant before she'd even exited. A tall, handsome man, with eyes she knew portrayed no love or virtue. Every cell in her body screamed at her to run away, but in the face of danger, she did not run. By nature, she chased.

"Talkative little lady, aren't you?" The stranger continued with amusement pulling at the edges of his tone. Rannia's face hardened but still, her eyes remained on the streets aside.

"Fuck off, creep," she snapped. It wasn't the first time she'd been approached in the street. The first was time flattery. The second was a lesson well learned.

"A true darling-"

The stranger's voice was cut off when someone exited the restaurant to Rannia's left, and their familiar voice sliced through the air. It would have been frightening to Rannia were she anyone else.

"Why the fuck are you talking to her?"

"Took you long enough," Rannia commented, finally turning to face Mykel and Carter.

"Hey, babe," Carter greeted brightly, smiling when his eyes fell on her. He came to her side and placed a hand softly on her arm, standing close as if he couldn't bear to be away from her for too long. "Uh..." His eyes drifted to the strange man standing close to Rannia, hovering over the group with a smile on his face. He was, Carter noted with a gulp, quite tall, and quite handsome. "Who's this?"

"A family acquaintance," Mykel answered, sending a quick glare the stranger's way. "His name is Aziel, don't mind him. He's just gonna accompany us to work, yeah?" Mykel stepped forward menacingly, height level to Aziel's, and the two figures stared each other down; one, with warning, and the other with a smirk.

"As long as he doesn't talk to me," Rannia bit back, sending Aziel a heated glare. Mykel replied with silence and took Carter by the arm, dragging the boy down the street. Aziel moved to follow, but Rannia stepped forward and bashed her shoulder into his side.

"Watch it, creep," she snarled quietly. Aziel's level stare fell on her, intrigued by her behavior. Without a word more, she left the stranger behind and caught up with Mykel and her boyfriend.

"Will that guy be...with us, for a while?"

Mykel sent a half-interested stare back at Rannia, before quickly looking back at the path before him. More people buzzed by like working ants in an overworld city.

"No need to answer me," Rannia replied sheepishly, rolling her eyes.

Carter piped up. "Mykel, will-"

Mykel yanked on Carter's arm and made the boy trip a little, rendering the little triad in silence. The skin on the back of Rannia's neck prickled as she sensed a steady focus on her form; Aziel, it probably was. She hated how he was looking at her, as if she wasn't someone that could cut his throat the moment he stepped too far. She hated how he looked at her as if he already knew something about her.