Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

She couldn't sleep after he left. She couldn't sleep with the feeling of his eyes on her, watching her writhe, move and pleasure herself.

She couldn't sleep knowing he'd seen her like that-exposed, and to her enemy, no less.

Night rolled around the earth, eventually settling itself on the Amir house. Carter was snoring peacefully by her side, so Rannia slipped out from under the covers and pulled on the first item of clothing she saw. A white robe enclosed her features and a tie wrapped around her waist, holding it in place. Hoping there wasn't anyone outside, lounging in the main room, Rannia exited the bedroom and walked out.

It was cold. It always was, in the morning. Though they had the money, Mrs. Amir always turned off the heater at night. She said it reminded her of her childhood and how she used to sleep.

Rannia found that quite pathetic.

Can't people just move on? she asked to herself, meandering about. Her bare feet pressed against the hardwood flooring as she entered the living room, hearing it creak beneath her feet, flexing beneath her weight.

Remembering a time similar to this, Rannia spun to the window, eyes searching the dark expanse past the glass. No eyes met hers, and she found herself both calmed and disappointed. Mykel was not always watching her. Mykel was not always watching her.

"You're safe," Rannia whispered to herself, closing her eyes as she placed a hand to her chest.

The cut along her leg was visible beneath her robe, but she'd bandaged it up and blamed it on a rosebush in the garden. Her shoulder was still sore from her fight as Garcia, but she'd calmed the ache with some pills and an awful lot of ice.

"They won't hurt you."

She walked over to the dining room, fingers perched on the edge of the table. As she walked side-by-side with the table, her fingers traced the fabric, running along it as she went. Her next focus was the picture frame perched on a dresser. A smiling family.

The Amirs.

Rannia's heart hardened at the sight. She picked it up and ran a finger across all their smiling faces-mother Amir, father Amir, Lucy, Amelia, Riccard, Jared, Timothy, and...and...

Her hard stare dropped as she eyed the missing place in the photo.

Where was Mykel?

"Put it down."

Rannia startled, almost dropping it on the ground. It hit the dresser top with a thunk, but the glass thankfully didn't shatter.

"You don't pry in other people's things, girlfriend."

Mykel seemed furious.

Rannia was slow to turn, fingers trembling as she longed to smash his head open with the vase by her side. The image of his temple bleeding out, cut with broken ceramic, filled her mind. Her eyes gleamed but she had to contain her bloodlust.

"I'm sorry. I was just looking." She shrugged.

The man walked forward, pressing his chest to hers and he reached behind her and righted the picture frame. So close to him, Rannia felt her heart begin to race. Her palms grew clammy and something inside of her stomach heated.

His eyes, dark, watching her ride his brother. The look in his eyes as they watched each other through the reflection of the mirror.

"You look, not touch," Mykel grit out in her ear, lowering his face. Rannia refused to meet his stare so close, and looked aside to the floor instead.