She stirred and rolled over, reaching for him with her eyes still shut. He pulled her up against him and kissed her forehead.

No, he would have never thought the love of his life would be this tiny girl, with unruly masses of curly brown hair, a light dusting of freckles, emerald green hazel eyes, a sharp wit, and a wicked temper. He smiled and squeezed her against him. Now he couldn't imagine it any other way.

...........................................................................

I woke up in Brad's arms with the sun shining in the window. I always felt so perfectly content, safe, and right, when I was being held by him.

"Morning, beautiful", he greeted me with his deep, quiet voice, and I felt my stomach flip. I could never tire of hearing him speak, and I could never get used to the thrill I felt when he spoke to me like that.

I got up, went to the bathroom, then started to get dressed. I was struggling with clasping my bra because my hair was getting stuck in it. Brad took pity and moved my hair out of the way so I could get it. Then he moved his hands around to my waist and started kissing my neck. Moments later, the bra was back off and we were back in bed.

Quite a while later, we were finally dressed and making breakfast when he said, "I really need to help Steve again today. Probably all day. I'm supposed to bring you with this time, too".

I glanced at the time then back at his face. "What time were you supposed to be there?", I asked nervously, having a feeling Steve would have wanted to start early.

"Whenever I felt like showing up", he smiled.

"I need to bring Drew's crib to my brother's sometime today, also".

He searched my face and must have seen the surety of my decision there.

"Okay, babe. We can put it in the Durango now, and maybe you and Bre could bring it over at some point?"

"Good idea", I agreed.

...........................................................................

Brad watched her face carefully as she pulled all the bedding out of the crib. She was sad but she was handling it.

She looked up at him when she was done. He pulled her against him and held her for a solid minute, then released her and brushed her cheek gently with his fingertips. She wasn't crying.

"Let me take the weight, and you guide it, making sure I don't hit the walls".

"Okay", she said.

They got it downstairs and into the Durango without having to take it completely apart. Paige found the box and paperwork in the garage, and tossed that in on top.

...........................................................................

Steve had started with primer on the bathroom walls, and was finished with that when Bre showed up with muffins and a frittata. He stopped for a second breakfast with her, then proceeded with getting the first coat of paint on the master bedroom. Bre dug into his laundry and cleaning the downstairs bathroom.

It really would be so much easier to only have one house to clean, she thought.

Not that Steve didn't normally keep up on things, but he was focused on finishing the house for them, so she was doing her part to help.

...........................................................................

Steve heard Maggie barking as he was covering up the paint tray in the master bedroom after finishing the first coat.